First Game!!! Nov 6th @ Univ of hartford

Lets talk some Hoops!
BigBlue92
CCSU Fans Regular
CCSU Fans Regular

Re: First Game!!! Nov 6th @ Univ of hartford

Post by BigBlue92 » Wed Nov 07, 2018 6:31 pm

The college game today is played at the rim and behind the arc. The mid-range jumper has basically been phased out. We need to be able to shoot the 3! (And take care of the ball.)
Having said that....Man, that was a sweet W!!! And I honestly think that we have guys who can move the ball around the perimeter and bury the 3. Hill has a point...Kohl went through stretches where he was simply scoring AT WILL at the rim, so THAT kinda became the game plan.
I like this team a lot.

Shoreline
CCSU Fans Know it all
CCSU Fans Know it all

Post by Shoreline » Wed Nov 07, 2018 6:58 pm

J.J.
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by J.J. » Wed Nov 07, 2018 7:27 pm

Shoreline wrote:
Wed Nov 07, 2018 6:58 pm
From WTNH 8:
https://www.wtnh.com/sports/ccsu-mens-b ... 1579762515
Thanks.

Someone should reach out to the copy editor at WTNH. It is Donyell Marshall, not "Daniel Marshal" and Tyler Kohl, not "Tyler Cole"

And what's up with the "C.C.S.U." graphic in the background?

CCSU4-3
CCSU Fans Know it all
CCSU Fans Know it all

Post by CCSU4-3 » Wed Nov 07, 2018 9:09 pm

hilltopper wrote:
Wed Nov 07, 2018 5:05 pm
Shooting 33% from three is the equivalent of shooting 50% with twos. So if your shooting 57% on twos you will score 114 points on 100 shots. At 40% of threes you will score 120 points on 100 shots But what team can shoot 40% on three? So 57% for twos is the equivalent of shooting 38% on threes. I don't think that there are many teams that are going to average 38% on threes over the course of 40 minutes.

I believe DM made a game plan thinking that UofH could not stop his interior offense and that over the course of the game it would wear them down.
That is exactly what happened. There was no doubt about what Central was doing especially in the final minutes. Kohl was a brute in final minutes. A fringe benefit of going inside is foul shots, even with a miss you might still come away with one or two points. Or better still an old fashioned three point play.

This is one game, it is premature to come to a conclusion on what this offense is going to look like against other teams. I think there will be three point shooting by Central, they have got guys that can reach or surpass the 33% threshold. Against other opponents there will probably be more balance as defenses adjust to what you are dong and in so doing that opens up other offensive opportunities.

This may very well have been nothing more than a strategy tailored to a specific opponent.
Yes. Everything you wrote here is correct.

JJ had asked me if a lack of 3-point shooting would be a problem long-term, and I think it could be. If CCSU can shoot 69% of their shots at the rim and make 58% of them, they will be fine offensively. But I don't think that's sustainable.

I won't draw conclusions on their ability to knock down perimeter shots from one game. It's just something worth watching, that's all.

hilltopper
CCSU Fans Know it all
CCSU Fans Know it all

Post by hilltopper » Thu Nov 08, 2018 10:56 am

Yes, we will learn more as the season progresses. To me if a shooter can make 1/3 or more of his open behind the line shots he is a "three point threat." I think that Central has a few of those, DM must have a good feel from practices as to who can do this. There has to be a reason that Krishnan is starting and getting the lions share of PT at the 2 guard, we saw it in the exhibition game. We know that Hugely is a three point threat and I believe that Hicks can be too. There may be others.

I was not minimizing the role of three point shooting, only that having a good low post threat is going to create some open threes. Three point shooting is most often characterized by an open shot, where the shooter squares up and launches. The best approach is to have a balanced attack, to be able to adjust the emphasis to the opponent.
As a note, in the 2nd half of the Hartford game Krisnan took an open three with double digits left on the shot clock, he missed. A few moments later during a substitution, I saw DM pull him aside and give the freshman a little lecture, Krishnan nodded and grabbed a towel. I wish I could hear what was said, but I can speculate that conversation was that we are only going for threes when it is the only shot left, today we are pounding it in the paint, because we can. I am sure the strategy would be different if UofH had the wide bodied Senior PF from last year. Evidently they did not find an adequate replacement.

One thing I would like to see is minimizing the dribbling by big men (especially Bute) under the basket. One or two dribbles and go up with a shot or kick it out. Bad things tend to happen when Bute dribbles. Kohl is an exception he can do whatever he thinks he needs to do because the overall results speak for themselves.

J.J.
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by J.J. » Mon Nov 12, 2018 12:43 pm

And to put Hartford game in perspective again.

Central is 6-3 vs. Hartford over the last 9 seasons. Two of the three CCSU losses came in OT, and none was by more than 3 points.

Hartford is now 0-3 on the season. Quinnipiac, Sacred Heart, Wagner, Bryant and Marist remain on their non-conference schedule.

The Hartford Hawks are not a good basketball program, period.

Skyhawkct
CCSU Fans Know it all
CCSU Fans Know it all

Post by Skyhawkct » Mon Nov 12, 2018 12:59 pm

Agreed JJ but weren’t they picked second in the AE?

CCSU4-3
CCSU Fans Know it all
CCSU Fans Know it all

Post by CCSU4-3 » Mon Nov 12, 2018 1:47 pm

J.J. wrote:
Mon Nov 12, 2018 12:43 pm
And to put Hartford game in perspective again.

Central is 6-3 vs. Hartford over the last 9 seasons. Two of the three CCSU losses came in OT, and none was by more than 3 points.

Hartford is now 0-3 on the season. Quinnipiac, Sacred Heart, Wagner, Bryant and Marist remain on their non-conference schedule.

The Hartford Hawks are not a good basketball program, period.
They lost to CCSU with their best player hampered by leg cramps in the second half. Then they lost to Utah St. and Mississippi St. No AE teams would have one either of those last 2 games.

Hartford finished with a better conference record last season than CCSU has in 10 years...plud they're in a better league.

I think you're off base here.