First Game!!! Nov 6th @ Univ of hartford

Lets talk some Hoops!
Larryl9797
Site Admin
Site Admin

First Game!!! Nov 6th @ Univ of hartford

Post by Larryl9797 » Fri Nov 02, 2018 11:21 am

Chase Arena: Not sure the audio / video setups as the Game note have not been released just yet.

Hartford is a much improved team in the 2017-18 outing than we have seen in seasons past and sits at #2 at the coaches preseason poll. UH is at #198 in the RPI while CCSU sits at #266 at the end of the season last year. Last meeting was early in the season as well (Nov 10, 2017) where UH won in OT 85-84. UH shot a blistering .333 from 3-point land and a very high .492 from inside the arc.

It looks like the core UH is intact coming into this season and that's most likely the reason for the Tier 1 ranking. CCSU sits at #6 (Tier #3) for the preseason largely due to the untested incoming freshmen and lack of a point guard earning their chops last season.
“You can be as talented as you want, but if you don’t play together and as a team, you’re not going to win.” -Donyell Marshall 1-21-2019

RonnyRob15
CCSU Fans Know it all
CCSU Fans Know it all

Re: First Game!!! Nov 6th @ Univ of hartford

Post by RonnyRob15 » Fri Nov 02, 2018 11:46 am

CCSU4-3
CCSU Fans Know it all
CCSU Fans Know it all

Post by CCSU4-3 » Sun Nov 04, 2018 3:41 pm

The Blue Devils are ~10 point underdog, which makes sense as the Hawks should be really good this season (perhaps the best team in Hartford hoops history?). I posted my preview here. https://www.thebluedevilsden.com/single ... t-Hartford

I'm really excited to see how Krishnan and Coleman do in their first D1 games...I have a feeling that CCSU will be a lot better this season than they are expected to be.

One thing I noticed in the Arcadia exhibition game; never once was Tyler Kohl given the ball in a post-up. Last season, the offense was being consistently run through Kohl down in the low block. I have a feeling that's because they were trying to work on other offensive sets, and get other guys touches.

Tuesday can't come soon enough.

J.J.
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by J.J. » Sun Nov 04, 2018 7:32 pm

Very excited about the season and opening up at Hartford on Tuesday.

Great preview on the blog, but serious question: what sources have CCSU as a 10-point underdog to the Hawks?

CCSU beat Hartford for Donyell's first win as a head coach 2 years ago. Last season the Blue Devils lost by 1-point in overtime.

If CCSU is improved from the last 2 seasons, even if the Hawks are also improved, I don't see them more than a 4 or 6 point favorite. I also thought UHa lost a few players/recruits to transfers.

A win would be huge start to the season, but anything less than losing in a 2 possession game would be disappointing at this stage. I don't see Hartford as a NCAA team this year, so we need to have confidence in winning this game.

CCSU4-3
CCSU Fans Know it all
CCSU Fans Know it all

Post by CCSU4-3 » Mon Nov 05, 2018 10:17 am

J.J. wrote:
Sun Nov 04, 2018 7:32 pm

Great preview on the blog, but serious question: what sources have CCSU as a 10-point underdog to the Hawks?

CCSU beat Hartford for Donyell's first win as a head coach 2 years ago. Last season the Blue Devils lost by 1-point in overtime.

If CCSU is improved from the last 2 seasons, even if the Hawks are also improved, I don't see them more than a 4 or 6 point favorite. I also thought UHa lost a few players/recruits to transfers.

A win would be huge start to the season, but anything less than losing in a 2 possession game would be disappointing at this stage. I don't see Hartford as a NCAA team this year, so we need to have confidence in winning this game.
Both Kenpom and T-Rank have Hartford as a 10-11 point favorite. CCSU finished last season #310 in Kenpom, while Hartford finished #215.

I don't think it's fair to look at one game 12 months ago and draw conclusions...if CCSU doesn't shoot out of its mind in that game last year, that game is more one-sided than it was.

Should the 2nd best team in the America East be favored by 10 at home against the 6th or 7th best team in the NEC? Seems to make sense to me.

The Blue Devils can absolutely win this game. But this isn't the Hartford Hawks teams we are used to.

ccsuhoops
CCSU Fans Know it all
CCSU Fans Know it all

Post by ccsuhoops » Mon Nov 05, 2018 10:47 am

RonnyRob15 wrote:
Fri Nov 02, 2018 11:46 am
espn3

Never wonder again:

http://mattsarzsports.com/Season/Conten ... 9xxeaQpCEc
This is AWESOME!

Thanks RR

J.J.
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by J.J. » Mon Nov 05, 2018 12:07 pm

CCSU4-3 wrote:
Mon Nov 05, 2018 10:17 am
J.J. wrote:
Sun Nov 04, 2018 7:32 pm

Both Kenpom and T-Rank have Hartford as a 10-11 point favorite. CCSU finished last season #310 in Kenpom, while Hartford finished #215.

I don't think it's fair to look at one game 12 months ago and draw conclusions...if CCSU doesn't shoot out of its mind in that game last year, that game is more one-sided than it was.

Should the 2nd best team in the America East be favored by 10 at home against the 6th or 7th best team in the NEC? Seems to make sense to me.

The Blue Devils can absolutely win this game. But this isn't the Hartford Hawks teams we are used to.
OK, but the AE preseason #2 team vs. the NEC preseason #6 team isn't too much of a difference, but I'll give the Hawks the benefit of the doubt.

I also don't buy any of the preseason metrics like KenPom, because we haven't played a game yet. Those metrics are much better predictors after a dozen or so games.

Anyway, I take the intangibles, that Hartford just won't be that good. DM as a head coach is 1-1 vs. Gallagher, so I don't think he's a better coach either. Even Howie was 2-1 vs. Gallagher and the Hawks his last 3 season when CCSU was really, really bad. Central is 3-2 vs Harford in the last 5 season, and both losses came in OT. I'm very happy to put that trend into the prediction for Tuesday! :)

Anyway, lots of optimism to start the season for Blue Devil fans, but you are right - CCSU needs to shoot the lights out and rebound to win this game. It won't be easy, as I expect a dogfight at Chase Arena.

Finally, do we have a source on the Vegas (or offshore) point spread? Likely that's much more accurate than KenPom right now.

Larryl9797
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Larryl9797 » Mon Nov 05, 2018 1:15 pm

Nobody does a preview like 4-3 https://www.thebluedevilsden.com/single ... t-Hartford

I will be making the headache maker in Hartford. Anyone else?
“You can be as talented as you want, but if you don’t play together and as a team, you’re not going to win.” -Donyell Marshall 1-21-2019

J.J.
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by J.J. » Mon Nov 05, 2018 10:13 pm

Another good preview by @DavidGlovach in the Hearld.

Liked the quotes from Hugley - a nice leader.
“We want to come out there and play smarter and faster and when we get punched in the mouth we get back up,” Hugley said. “We’re going to get punched in the mouth and it’s important how we respond. If we do well, we know we’re going to be fine. It’s all about how we respond to adversity.”
http://www.newbritainherald.com/article ... h/section/

hilltopper
CCSU Fans Know it all
CCSU Fans Know it all

Post by hilltopper » Mon Nov 05, 2018 10:36 pm

Is the team ready to go? Is there any word on injuries or illnesses of any players? How about red shirts?
Any ideas on the starting line up...I expect (so it is probably wrong) Kohl, Bute, Coleman, Batiste, Krishnan ...with Hugely in the rotation of big men. It is going to be interesting to see who gets playing time as I expect DM to make extensive use of his bench.

Larryl9797
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Larryl9797 » Tue Nov 06, 2018 7:34 am

From the Game notes:

Projected Starters
Pos No. Pts. Reb. Notes
C 14 Deion Bute (Sr., 6-9, 220) 10.1 5.2 Ranked 2nd in the NEC in FG Pct. (.600)
F/G 1 Tyler Kohl (Sr., 6-5, 220) 16.7 8.2 Ranked in NEC Top 10 in ppg, rpg, apg, spg
F/G 15 Jamir Coleman (Jr., 6-6, 205) Shot .465 fg% (.323 3fg%) at South Plains
G 3 Ian Krishnan (Fr., 6-2, 180) Class AA All-NEPSAC at Proctor Academy
G 13 Tyson Batiste (Jr., 6-2, 185) 2.8 2.3 Posted a 1.7 assist-TO ratio in NEC play

Off The Bench
F 0 Harrison Kay (Jr., 6-11, 240) 1.3 1.1 Played in 12 gms; SH 4p at Mount, 3r at RMU
F 2 Kashaun Hicks (So., 6-6, 225) 4.4 1.4 .375 3fg%; CH: 15p at LIU Brooklyn
G/F 5 Chris Williams (Jr., 6-6, 185) 1.6 0.6 Played in 14 games; SH: 7p vs. Sacred Heart
G 10 Will Ellis (Fr., 6-2, 175) 14.8 ppg, 6.1 apg, 5.7 rpg at Cheshire Academy
G 11 Thai Segwai (Fr., 6-2, 195) Attended City of London Academy
F 21 Joe Hugley (Jr., 6-7, 215) 9.5 3.9 Last 3 gms: 19.7 ppg (.552 fg%, .571 3fg%)
F 22 Karrington Wallace (Fr., 6-7, 180) Helped Archbishop Wood win PA 5A title
G/F 24 Mike Underwood (Fr., 6-5, 160) All-District 7-5A MVP and First Team
F 30 Donyell Marshall, Jr. (Jr., 6-6, 185) 0.3 0.3 Appeared in 7 games; CH at Boston College

CCSU4-3
CCSU Fans Know it all
CCSU Fans Know it all

Post by CCSU4-3 » Tue Nov 06, 2018 10:18 am

I think Marshall likes Hugley off the bench as a fill in as a big 4 or small ball 5. Plus, he's yet to show he can log starter level minutes given his propensity to foul.

With that said, I think this team has 6 starters if that makes sense...Hugley will see plenty of the floor.

I like the way the lineup fits together with Coleman's versatility. They'll have no problem guarding smaller lineups with him at the 4.

ccsuhoops
CCSU Fans Know it all
CCSU Fans Know it all

Post by ccsuhoops » Tue Nov 06, 2018 10:35 am

Larryl9797 wrote:
Mon Nov 05, 2018 1:15 pm
Nobody does a preview like 4-3 https://www.thebluedevilsden.com/single ... t-Hartford

I will be making the headache maker in Hartford. Anyone else?
A couple of thoughts from this one.

1. Dang right were impatient, my avatar says it all.
2. If last years team wasn't really a team and this years team only lost two to graduation and two to leaving, are we saying that Mustafa, Shak, Austin or Eric were problems? Find that hard to believe.

I do like the ol chip on the shoulder attitude, a la Howie. Wonder if that came directly from the source? Anyway, I like what Kohl and Hugley are saying, get to a home game and don't quit when things get tough. All good comments. Still think were gonna lose tonight but I'll be there routing on the Blue and White...

ccsuhoops
CCSU Fans Know it all
CCSU Fans Know it all

Post by ccsuhoops » Tue Nov 06, 2018 6:42 pm

17 bucks a ticket...ouch!

RonnyRob15
CCSU Fans Know it all
CCSU Fans Know it all

Post by RonnyRob15 » Tue Nov 06, 2018 7:29 pm

espn3 stinks. unwatchable on three devices and two internet connections.