Arcadia 10/27 Exhibition

Lets talk some Hoops!
ccsuhoops
CCSU Fans Know it all
CCSU Fans Know it all

Arcadia 10/27 Exhibition

Post by ccsuhoops » Sat Oct 27, 2018 3:26 pm

They are very small. We appear to have one new guy not dressed, don’t even know who he is yet. Looks like they have folding chairs set up behind the media table. Looks to be around 100 or so

ccsuhoops
CCSU Fans Know it all
CCSU Fans Know it all

Re: Arcadia 10/27 Exhibition

Post by ccsuhoops » Sat Oct 27, 2018 4:32 pm

Well Ian Christian certainly can shoot...

ccsuhoops
CCSU Fans Know it all
CCSU Fans Know it all

Post by ccsuhoops » Sat Oct 27, 2018 4:42 pm

And down two at the half to DIVISION THREE! smdh

BigBlue92
CCSU Fans Regular
CCSU Fans Regular

Post by BigBlue92 » Sat Oct 27, 2018 8:03 pm

And we're on our way!
Here's my 2 cents. (Disclaimer: I have not yet looked at a stat sheet or box score.)

Positives:
1. Man, we have something special in Ian Krishnan. I can think of only 2 other CCSU players who had that same kind of self-confidence and swagger as freshmen--Javier Mojica and Kyle Vinales. The kid is a SCORER! And like most scorers, he's not at all afraid to jack up a shot in any situation...because he believes he's the best offensive option on the court. He's quick, can handle the ball, and can pass.
2. Coleman looks to be a great addition. a 6'7" kid who can penetrate and hit the 3??? Not bad at all!
3. In my opinion, Kohl is always a positive even when he doesn't have a typical Kohl game. The team is just better when he's on the court.
4. Batiste made his FTs!! 4 for 4. Good sign!

Negatives:
1. Perimeter D is still an issue. Damn, we gave up 72 points to a D-3 team in our building. Must improve.
2. Rebounding! Jesus, when Kohl is not on the court we are the laziest and SOFTEST rebounding team in the country! (exaggeration)
3. Bute...some of the same bad habits as early in the season last year--footwork, turnovers, etc. There should be a rule: If he needs to take any more than ONE dribble to get to the basket then DON'T try!!!! And his rebounding...when he comes down with the ball he needs to have his elbows out, ball high, and pivot. I know it's like 5th grade basketball stuff but damn he just brings the ball down to his stomach and tucks his elbows in. Grip and rip that ball!!!
4. The ball doesn't move quick enough for us on the perimeter. We still have a few guys who receive the ball and then immediately take 2 dribbles. Move the ball!

So after that rant I will say that I'm still very hopeful for this season. They'll figure it out. Let's stay positive!

hilltopper
CCSU Fans Know it all
CCSU Fans Know it all

Post by hilltopper » Sat Oct 27, 2018 8:17 pm

Whew! not an impressive performance, but I think Central was not trying very hard, that of course is bad enough in itself.
- Kohl had the worst game I have ever seen him play. He probably is not in very good BB shape because of his recent broken hand. He needs a little more time to get back to form.
- The PG position is going to be a problem. Toward the end of the game Thai Segwai seemed to look like he might have some potential at the point.
- Ian Krishnan is a lights out shooter. He is going to be the starting 2 guard, the guy had 17 points in the 1st half. That's the good news, the bad news is that he got hurt. It looked like a hamstring. He did come back to play but was noticeably hurting. I think he is going to score a lot of points. And yes, after watching him take a few three pointers, I too said he reminded me of Vinales. Lots of that scorers confidence.

The temporary arrangement of the gym sucks.
-

BigBlue92
CCSU Fans Regular
CCSU Fans Regular

Post by BigBlue92 » Sat Oct 27, 2018 8:36 pm

hilltopper wrote:
Sat Oct 27, 2018 8:17 pm
the bad news is that he got hurt. It looked like a hamstring.
-
I BELIEVE it was just a Charlie horse. Looked like he took a knee to his left quad while driving to the hoop. I’m sure he’ll be fine.

ccsuhoops
CCSU Fans Know it all
CCSU Fans Know it all

Post by ccsuhoops » Sat Oct 27, 2018 9:48 pm

Agree, didn’t look that bad and have a more than a week till a real game. Gym config does indeed suck. New wall blocks the far, small scoreboard. Might as well turn it off. Not many people there today but felt crowded. Can only imagine a packed game. Hopefully whatever they do is worth it.

hilltopper
CCSU Fans Know it all
CCSU Fans Know it all

Post by hilltopper » Sat Oct 27, 2018 10:57 pm

I BELIEVE it was just a Charlie horse. Looked like he took a knee to his left quad while driving to the hoop. I’m sure he’ll be fine.
That is good news. I think that Krishnan is going to be fun to watch.

CCSU4-3
CCSU Fans Know it all
CCSU Fans Know it all

Post by CCSU4-3 » Sun Oct 28, 2018 9:08 am

No one has mentioned the turnovers. 14 TOs in a 70 possession game against a D3 team that was not playing pressure defense is REALLY bad. Hopefully we can chalk it up to nerves.

If Batiste can play like he did tonight; 8 points, 7 rebounds, 3 assists, 1 turnover, 4-4 from the FT line, he will be a ~average NEC PG, which is good enough to get this team into the top half of the league.

hilltopper
CCSU Fans Know it all
CCSU Fans Know it all

Post by hilltopper » Sun Oct 28, 2018 1:17 pm

Yes, it was a poor performance against a DIII school. Good thing we did not schedule a DII school we probably would have lost.
This does not instill a lot of optimism for the upcoming season.
As a note: Arcadia U was founded in 1853 as The Beaver Female Seminary....(no comment)

ccsuhoops
CCSU Fans Know it all
CCSU Fans Know it all

Post by ccsuhoops » Sun Oct 28, 2018 2:24 pm

Go Beavers!
Attachments
5A43E0E8-E525-426C-9C35-B1E6091964F2.jpeg

ccsuhoops
CCSU Fans Know it all
CCSU Fans Know it all

Post by ccsuhoops » Sun Oct 28, 2018 2:25 pm

And watch out folk, hoops has figured out how to add images from his phone! Much easier now than before lol.