Analytics

Lets talk some Hoops!
J.J.
Site Admin
Site Admin

Analytics

Post by J.J. » Wed Oct 24, 2018 8:49 am

I see a blog article from 4-3 in the future on this :)
Marshall played the role of old-schooler when it came to analytics. As the coaches discussed, modern thinking is to emphasize 3-pointers and layups over the mid-range jumper as a more efficient approach to scoring.

Marshall:
“Personally, I hate analytics. Maybe because I played, it drives me crazy. Even the plus-minus thing. At the end of the game you can have all zeroes in the stats and your plus-minus is plus-12 because the four around you have done a great job of getting the score up. It’s one of those things we don’t really look at, we just go out there and try to score the most points.”
http://www.courant.com/sports/uconn-men ... story.html

CCSU coach Donyell Marshall stands apart from the crowd when it comes to analytics in college basketball. (John Woike | jwoike@courant.com)

hilltopper
CCSU Fans Know it all
CCSU Fans Know it all

Re: Analytics

Post by hilltopper » Wed Oct 24, 2018 11:09 am

"we just go out there and try to score the most points.”
As a general rule if you can score the most points you will have a good won/loss record. :D

ccsuhoops
CCSU Fans Know it all
CCSU Fans Know it all

Post by ccsuhoops » Wed Oct 24, 2018 11:52 am

I agree w/ DM here. I don't need to get a math degree to go watch a hoops game, lol. Just win baby.

CCSU4-3
CCSU Fans Know it all
CCSU Fans Know it all

Post by CCSU4-3 » Wed Oct 24, 2018 2:29 pm

ccsuhoops wrote:
Wed Oct 24, 2018 11:52 am
I agree w/ DM here. I don't need to get a math degree to go watch a hoops game, lol. Just win baby.
There's a reason Brad Stevens and Steve Kerr are where they are. And it's not because they have some innate ability to look into a players soul and figure out if they are clutch or not.

CCSU4-3
CCSU Fans Know it all
CCSU Fans Know it all

Post by CCSU4-3 » Wed Oct 24, 2018 2:35 pm

As a fan, if you don't want to know anything about analytics, I think that's fine. You should enjoy the game however you want to enjoy it.

But I think you SHOULD want your favorite teams coaching staff to be exhausting all avenues when it comes to information that could help win games. Scouting, video, analytics...it's all part of it.

It's interesting that many programs are hiring analytics people...Jared Grasso, when he got to Bryant, hired a Director of Analytics. Ignoring information is silly.

BigBlue92
CCSU Fans Regular
CCSU Fans Regular

Post by BigBlue92 » Thu Oct 25, 2018 11:40 am

Agreed, 4-3. I'll be even more blunt...If our coaching staff is not utilizing analytics then something is wrong. Almost all college programs these days have someone on staff whose responsibility is analytics. Analytics should be part of the recruiting process, game planning, and used as a teaching tool (for things such as goal-setting and motivation). If decisions are being made strictly on hunches and gut-feelings then we're being short-changed.

hilltopper
CCSU Fans Know it all
CCSU Fans Know it all

Post by hilltopper » Thu Oct 25, 2018 12:46 pm

DM did not say they do not use analytics, of course they do. My take on his statement is that he takes it with a grain of salt because he realizes that there is such a thing as intangibles.
I would not worry about this.

J.J.
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by J.J. » Thu Oct 25, 2018 1:05 pm

Ideally, analytics should INFORM decision-making by leaders. However, data and analytics is not a substitute for actual leadership.

IMO - this applies to sports, government, and life in general. To the extent possible, we should use the advanced analytic capabilities available to us in order to make more informed decisions, but it is no guarantee of success.

I think DM has a grasp on the value of analytics; but he does not feel bound to use them as his ONLY decision making tool. Teaching, motivating, and being innovative is just as valuable as any "moneyball-type" formula to winning games.

To quote a movie, based on a sport that has been on the cutting edge of advanced analytics:
A good friend of mine used to say, "This is a very simple game. You throw the ball, you catch the ball, you hit the ball. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose, sometimes it rains." Think about that for a while.
- Ebby Calvin "Nuke" LaLoosh (Bull Durham)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EZprAlFcQLA

J.J.
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by J.J. » Sat Oct 27, 2018 10:52 am

A another baseball example following last night's epic World Series game.
The Dodgers clearly came out of the game in much better shape.

Rich Hill is all ready to start Game 4, though the Dodgers tweeted after the game that their probable starter is to be determined, perhaps meaning Game 1 starter Clayton Kershaw will get the nod. The bullpen is actually not too burned out, even though closer Kenley Jansen and Pedro Baez will likely be unavailable Saturday night after working two innings apiece.

“It wasn’t how we scripted it,” manager Dave Roberts said, “but it’s a big win for us.”

Cora’s first significant move was lifting starter Rick Porcello in the fifth inning, even though he had only given up three hits and a run. It hardly seemed necessary to make such an early call to the bullpen — two outs, a runner at first base — but Cora gave what has become an all-too-familiar mantra for analytic-obsessed skippers.

“We felt that was a bad matchup for us,” he said.

Rodriguez struck out the lone batter he faced, providing some immediate gratification. But that move opened up a parade of pitchers — even Game 2 starter David Price made a relief appearance — that finally culminated in the 12th with Eovaldi trotting in from the bullpen.
https://www.boston.com/sports/boston-re ... haunt-them

hilltopper
CCSU Fans Know it all
CCSU Fans Know it all

Post by hilltopper » Sat Oct 27, 2018 1:49 pm

Cora's devotion to analytics is extreme. Game 3 saw the Red Sox with no pitching options and 4 of their best hitters out of game.
It has worked out overall, but it may in the end have cost the Sox the World Series.

CCSU4-3
CCSU Fans Know it all
CCSU Fans Know it all

Post by CCSU4-3 » Sun Oct 28, 2018 9:03 am

hilltopper wrote:
Sat Oct 27, 2018 1:49 pm
Cora's devotion to analytics is extreme. Game 3 saw the Red Sox with no pitching options and 4 of their best hitters out of game.
It has worked out overall, but it may in the end have cost the Sox the World Series.
This hasn't exactly aged well.

ccsuhoops
CCSU Fans Know it all
CCSU Fans Know it all

Post by ccsuhoops » Sun Oct 28, 2018 10:52 am

Yeah, they are not gonna lose, but Boone is another over analytical manager and look where it got them. Bottom line is you still have to play the games and score more than the other team to win. I agree with above, analytics should be looked at but not used to make every single game time decision. Games still need to be played and won and numbers on a piece of paper won’t do that. It’s not PS4 it’s sports.

J.J.
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by J.J. » Sun Oct 28, 2018 12:16 pm

And for the record (and as a Dodgers fan), it was the lack of execution, not analytics that cost LA the game.

The hanging curve did not break and he hit it a mile for the 3-run HR. Jansen just can't give up that solo HR - blown save in the 8th is just poor play.

Baseball is a great game and the World Serise is a chess match at times, but it comes done to the basics every time. The team that hits good pitching and scores more runs wins. Boston's bats woke up and they reclaimed the Series.

Imagine a 2-2 series heading into tonight's matchup between Kershaw and Price for the final game in LA?

Oh, what could have been ...

hilltopper
CCSU Fans Know it all
CCSU Fans Know it all

Post by hilltopper » Sun Oct 28, 2018 1:29 pm

I am a Red Sox fan. And as such I am a pessimist with regard to my team, it goes with the territory.
I now have nightmares of LA winning the next three.

ccsuhoops
CCSU Fans Know it all
CCSU Fans Know it all

Post by ccsuhoops » Sun Oct 28, 2018 2:28 pm

No chance Hill. I pray you’re nightmare come true, don’t get me wrong but Dodgers have not been clutch. Series won’t even go back to bean town