2018 Jamaica Classic

Lets talk some Hoops!
J.J.
Site Admin
Site Admin

2018 Jamaica Classic

Post by J.J. » Sat May 26, 2018 10:49 am

Central Connecticut leaves the contiguous 48 States for the first time since 1998, when Central went to Hilo, Hawaii for a 4-team tournament (Old Dominion, CCSU, Buffalo, and Hawaii-Hilo). As far as I can tell, this will also be Central's first ever regular season men's basketball game outside of the United States.

Last season was the inaugural Jamaica Classic. It had an odd, 7-team format that included LIU-Brooklyn, Hartford, Fordham, Colorado State, Tulane, and Florida State.
https://www.bloggingthebracket.com/2017 ... ham-tulane
https://www.jamaicaclassic.com/

Presumably, this year's 8-team format will be a more traditional MTE (2 games each on campus; 2 showcase games on the island). Also, the dates in the tweet are incorrect - the games in Jamaica are NOVEMBER 16-18.

For CCSU fans, we are probably looking at the following 4 games for our 2018-19 schedule:

TBD @ Campus sites - CCSU at 2 of the following: Georgetown/South Florida/Ohio/Loyola Marymount
Nov. 16-18 @ Jamaica - CCSU vs. Florida A&M; CCSU vs. Austin Peay/Campbell

I'm really hoping CCSU gets a game at Georgetown. I think a Patrick Ewing/Donyell Marshall coaching matchup would get some decent press, plus it is an easy trip for me downtown to the Capital One Center for the game!

A second game vs. South Florida in Tampa is a great location for CCSU alumni and snowbirds - I know Sky will be there :)

CCSU4-3
CCSU Fans Know it all
CCSU Fans Know it all

Re: 2018 Jamaica Classic

Post by CCSU4-3 » Sun May 27, 2018 8:40 am

J.J. wrote:
Sat May 26, 2018 10:49 am
Central Connecticut leaves the contiguous 48 States for the first time since 1998, when Central went to Hilo, Hawaii for a 4-team tournament (Old Dominion, CCSU, Buffalo, and Hawaii-Hilo). As far as I can tell, this will also be Central's first ever regular season men's basketball game outside of the United States.

Last season was the inaugural Jamaica Classic. It had an odd, 7-team format that included LIU-Brooklyn, Hartford, Fordham, Colorado State, Tulane, and Florida State.
https://www.bloggingthebracket.com/2017 ... ham-tulane
https://www.jamaicaclassic.com/

Presumably, this year's 8-team format will be a more traditional MTE (2 games each on campus; 2 showcase games on the island). Also, the dates in the tweet are incorrect - the games in Jamaica are NOVEMBER 16-18.

For CCSU fans, we are probably looking at the following 4 games for our 2018-19 schedule:

TBD @ Campus sites - CCSU at 2 of the following: Georgetown/South Florida/Ohio/Loyola Marymount
Nov. 16-18 @ Jamaica - CCSU vs. Florida A&M; CCSU vs. Austin Peay/Campbell

I'm really hoping CCSU gets a game at Georgetown. I think a Patrick Ewing/Donyell Marshall coaching matchup would get some decent press, plus it is an easy trip for me downtown to the Capital One Center for the game!

A second game vs. South Florida in Tampa is a great location for CCSU alumni and snowbirds - I know Sky will be there :)
JJ...where did you see the date info, as well as the fact that we are matching up against FAMU, then AP/Campbell? Just wondering if you read that somewhere, or you had your own sources.

J.J.
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by J.J. » Sun May 27, 2018 9:57 am

The November dates were posted by a Georgetown blog, plus it is the same time as the 2017 tournament.
https://www.casualhoya.com/2018/5/25/17 ... rick-ewing

I do have other information that suggests on those dates we first matchup with Florida A&M and then play the winner of Austin Peay/Campbell in Jamaica. Based on that (8-team tourney, 2 games in Jamaica), I am assuming that the "lower half" of the bracket will each get 2 games on the road vs. the "upper half" similar to other events. Like many MTEs, this isn't a true "tournament" as it appears to be organized as guarantee games and a "classic" showcase event. Finally, if you look at the order the teams were listed in the tweet, it implies a certain hierarchy based on the conference/team strength and further suggests our games on the island are vs. FAMU/APSU/Campbell.

1. Georgetown (Big East)
2. South Florida (American)
3. Ohio (Mid-American)
4. Loyola Marymount (West Coast)
5. Central Connecticut (Northeast)
6. Campbell (Big South)
7. Austin Peay (Ohio Valley)
8. Florida A&M (Mid-Eastern)

Finally, based on geography/travel/history this is what the on-campus matchups might look like, but I have no info on that right now:

Georgetown/South Florida vs. Florida A&M/Central Connecticut
Ohio/Loyola Marymount vs. Campbell/Austin Peay

Plus, I really think the matchup of former NBA players (Ewing/Marshall) as head coaches is something both schools would like to setup. Last season, DM would have faced Chris Mullen at St. John's if he wasn't suspended. He did coach against Juan Dixon (Coppin State).

CCSU4-3
CCSU Fans Know it all
CCSU Fans Know it all

Post by CCSU4-3 » Sun May 27, 2018 10:05 am

J.J. wrote:
Sun May 27, 2018 9:57 am
The November dates were posted by a Georgetown blog, plus it is the same time as the 2017 tournament.
https://www.casualhoya.com/2018/5/25/17 ... rick-ewing

I do have a source that indicates on those dates we first matchup with Florida A&M and then play the winner of Austin Peay/Campbell in Jamaica. Based on that information (8-team tourney, 2 games in Jamaica), I am assuming that the "lower half" of the bracket will each get 2 games on the road vs. the "upper half" similar to other events. Like many MTEs, this isn't a true "tournament" as it appears to be organized as guarantee games and a "classic" showcase event. Finally, if you look at the order the teams were listed in the tweet, it suggests a certain hierarchy based on the conference/team strength and further suggests our games on the island are vs. FAMU/APSU/Campbell.

1. Georgetown (Big East)
2. South Florida (American)
3. Ohio (Mid-American)
4. Loyola Marymount (West Coast)
5. Central Connecticut (Northeast)
6. Campbell (Big South)
7. Austin Peay (Ohio Valley)
8. Florida A&M (Mid-Eastern)

Finally, based on geography/travel/history this is what the on-campus matchups might look like, but I have no info on that right now:

Georgetown/South Florida vs. Florida A&M/Central Connecticut
Ohio/Loyola Marymount vs. Campbell/Austin Peay

Plus, I really think the matchup of former NBA players (Ewing/Marshall) as head coaches is something both schools would like to setup. Last season, DM would have faced Chris Mullen at St. John's if he wasn't suspended. He did coach against Juan Dixon (Coppin State).
Makes a lot of sense to me. Wouldn't be surprised if we played two buy games on the road (Georgetown, South Florida) to essentially pay for the trip to Jamaica.

Loyola Marymount may be worse than every team except FAMU, but you're right their status as a WCC member probably puts them in that "upper tier".

You're the man when it comes to schedule info.

J.J.
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by J.J. » Sun May 27, 2018 11:02 am

CCSU4-3 wrote:
Sun May 27, 2018 10:05 am
Makes a lot of sense to me. Wouldn't be surprised if we played two buy games on the road (Georgetown, South Florida) to essentially pay for the trip to Jamaica.

Loyola Marymount may be worse than every team except FAMU, but you're right their status as a WCC member probably puts them in that "upper tier".

You're the man when it comes to schedule info.
Thanks. Based on the schedule formula from last season, those 2 "buy" games are part of the MTE itself, so we likely have up to 4 more "guarantee" games on the road at major programs.

Home/Away
2017-18: at Hartford, vs. North Carolina A&T, at Brown, vs. Maine, at UMass-Lowell
2018-19: at Hartford, at North Carolina A&T, (TBD), at Maine, vs. UMass-Lowell

Guarantee Games
2017-18: at St. John’s, at DePaul, at Northern Illinois, at Boston College
2018-19: (TBD), (TBD), (TBD), (TBD)

Multi-Team Event
2017-18: On the Banks - at Rutgers, at East Carolina, vs. Coppin State, at Cleveland State
2018-19: Jamaica Classic - 2 games at GU/USF/Ohio/LMU, vs. Florida A&M, vs. Austin Peay/Campbell

ccsuhoops
CCSU Fans Know it all
CCSU Fans Know it all

Post by ccsuhoops » Tue May 29, 2018 10:31 am

Georgetown would be a good trip. Hoping that one works out for us. This is great exposure, no two ways about it!

J.J.
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by J.J. » Sun Jun 03, 2018 1:30 pm

2018 Jersey Mike’s Jamaica Classic

This confirms the format - each team gets 2 games in Jamaica (televised by CBS Sports Network) and 2 games on campus. I'm guessing our 2 campus games will be on the road with opponents TBD.
Eight (8) teams will participate in the tournament with twelve (12) tournament games held on select campus sites and eight (8) games at the Montego Bay Convention Centre in Jamaica. All eight (8) games played in the Montego Bay Convention Centre will be televised live on CBS Sports Network.
http://www.vanwagner.com/news/2018/van- ... ca-classic

hilltopper
CCSU Fans Know it all
CCSU Fans Know it all

Post by hilltopper » Sun Jun 03, 2018 5:51 pm

It would be nice to win one (or dare I say two) of these games!

ccsuhoops
CCSU Fans Know it all
CCSU Fans Know it all

Post by ccsuhoops » Mon Jun 04, 2018 9:57 am

hilltopper wrote:
Sun Jun 03, 2018 5:51 pm
It would be nice to win one (or dare I say two) of these games!
Agreed, the program needs to start winning, no more of this, it's an honor to be nominated stuff. [-X

J.J.
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by J.J. » Tue Jun 19, 2018 6:40 pm

Georgetown officially announces their participation in the Jamica Classic, along with LMU, Ohio, and USF. No mention of the other 4 teams yet ... but I'm hoping for CCSU games at Georgetown and South Florida.
WASHINGTON - The Georgetown University men’s basketball team announced today that it will play in the 2018 Jersey Mike’s Jamaica Classic from November 16-18 in Montego Bay, Jamaica.

Additional schools participating in the tournament include Loyola Marymount University, Ohio University and the University of South Florida. The remaining four university participants will be announced at a later date. Eight tournament games will be held on the four host campus sites and eight games at the Montego Bay Convention Centre in Jamaica. All games played in the Montego Bay Convention Centre will be televised live on CBS Sports Network.

Head Coach Patrick Ewing, who was born in Kingston, Jamaica, said, “I am really looking forward to bringing my Georgetown team to my birthplace and we hope to bring some great basketball and excitement to Jamaica.”
http://www.guhoyas.com/sports/m-baskbl/ ... um=twitter

J.J.
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by J.J. » Sat Jul 14, 2018 12:01 pm

South Florida just announced their non-conference schedule, including Jamaica Classic matchups.
https://gousfbulls.com/news/2018/7/13/m ... slate.aspx

Jamaica Classic - Campus Games
Austin Peay at South Florida
Florida A&M at South Florida

Jamaica Classic - Showcase Bracket
Ohio vs. South Florida
Loyola Marymount vs. Georgetown

Ohio/USF winner vs. LMU/GU winner
Ohio/USF loser vs. LMU/GU loser

J.J.
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by J.J. » Wed Aug 22, 2018 3:58 pm

Austin Peay released their schedule yesterday and it indicates our games on the island are already pre-determined.
Nov. 12 marks the beginning of the Jersey Mike's Jamaica Classic, with the Govs taking on American Athletic foe USF in Tampa, Florida. They'll move on to Montego Bay, Jamaica for the Nov. 16-18 contests, facing Central Connecticut to open their stay in the tournament and Campbell—the first of two contests against the Fighting Camels this season—in the second game. The Jamaica Classic closes out in Athens, Ohio, Nov. 24, with a Thanksgiving weekend contest at Ohio.
https://letsgopeay.com/news/2018/8/21/m ... edule.aspx

Jamaica Classic - Campus Games
(Nov. 12) Austin Peay at South Florida
(Nov. 21) Florida A&M at South Florida
(Nov. 24) Austin Peay at Ohio

Jamaica Classic - Showcase Bracket
(Nov. 16)
Ohio vs. South Florida
Loyola Marymount vs. Georgetown

(Nov. 18)
Championship game
Third-Place game

Jamaica Classic - Visitors Bracket
(Nov 16)
Austin Peay vs. Central Connecticut
Campbell vs. Florida A&M

(Nov. 18)
Austin Peay vs. Campbell
Central Connecticut vs. Florida A&M

J.J.
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by J.J. » Mon Aug 27, 2018 9:30 pm

J.J.
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by J.J. » Fri Sep 07, 2018 10:42 am

Great to see CCSU participating in one of the up-and-coming tourneys in the Caribbean. Wish I could make it, looks like a great vacation for CCSU fans! I do wish the 2nd day of games were winners/losers games in each bracket instead of predetermined matchups. Other than that, this is a great opportunity for the team.
The Central Connecticut men's basketball team has announced its participation in the 2018 Jersey Mike's Jamaica Classic. In its second year, the annual preseason college basketball tournament will be held in Montego Bay, Jamaica from November 16-18, 2018, in one of the most iconic destinations in the Caribbean. With its picturesque beaches, modern resorts, and exciting nightlight, Montego Bay is one of the Caribbean's most popular tourist destinations – and a great setting for the 2018 Jersey Mike's Jamaica Classic.

"We're looking forward to playing in the Jersey Mike's Jamaica Classic," said CCSU head coach Donyell Marshall. "It will give our team a chance to go against some really good competition and have the experience of travelling to Jamaica. We are looking forward to the upcoming season and the tournament."

In addition to CCSU, seven other universities round out the host and travel teams participating, including Austin Peay State University, Campbell University, Florida A&M University, Georgetown University, Loyola Marymount University, Ohio University, and University of South Florida. Eight tournament games will be held on the four host campus sites and eight games at the Montego Bay Convention Centre in Jamaica.

All games played in the Montego Bay Convention Centre will be televised live on CBS Sports Network. Below is an outline of the schedule for each day's game play:

Friday, November 16

11:30 am - Austin Peay vs. Central Connecticut
2:00 pm - FAMU vs. Campbell
4:30 pm - Ohio vs. South Florida
7:00 pm - Georgetown vs. Loyola Marymount

Sunday, November 18

12:00 pm - Georgetown vs. South Florida
2:00 pm - Austin Peay vs. Campbell
6:30 pm - Ohio vs. Loyola Marymount
9:00 pm - FAMU vs. Central Connecticut
Fans looking to attend this annual tournament and cheer on the CCSU Blue Devils, Official Travel Packages can be found at https://www.jamaicaclassic.com/hotel-packages/. Fans can learn more about tournament information, accommodations, ground transportation, tickets, and more by visiting http://www.jamaicaclassic.com.

J.J.
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by J.J. » Wed Oct 24, 2018 2:53 pm

Win tickets to see CCSU in Jamaica!

https://www.tickpick.com/jamaica-classic-sweepstakes