New 2018 Commit /Transfers

Lets talk some Hoops!
CCSU4-3
CCSU Fans Know it all
CCSU Fans Know it all

New 2018 Commit /Transfers

Post by CCSU4-3 » Fri Mar 23, 2018 3:33 pm

DM just signed Will Ellis, 6'2" PG out of Cheshire Academy.

He earned Class AA All-NEPSAC Honorable Mention this past season.

He's not ranked among the top 30 Connecticut prospects for 2018, and he's not listed in VerbalCommits' database. So I'm assuming no previous D1 offers.

This comes as a surprise to me, as I fully expected DM to go the JUCO or grad transfer route.

Additionally, there is now tentatively 4 PGs on the roster. I wonder if there's a pending transfer we aren't aware of.

J.J.
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: New 2018 commit

Post by J.J. » Fri Mar 23, 2018 3:40 pm

From New England Recruiting Report (11/28/2017):
Ellis is an athletic guard with an attacking game who has a chance to make a name for himself as one of Cheshire’s most important players this year
And of course, we know that Austin Nehls played 1 year of prep at Cheshire Academy.

hilltopper
CCSU Fans Know it all
CCSU Fans Know it all

Post by hilltopper » Sat Mar 24, 2018 12:07 pm

He's not ranked among the top 30 Connecticut prospects for 2018
Is Ellis a high school student, or is he a post grad? I think that list may be for HS players. Doesn't Chesire Academy have HS grads taking a post grad year prepping for college?

Is this guy the same Will Ellis?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mZw67eABqGk

If that is the same player, he is not in a Chesire Acadamy uniform, then he looks to be extremely athletic, with some outside shooting. Can't tell too much from the highlight reel as it is a very selective sample, but he looks to be more of #2 rather than a PG, maybe a swing guard.
I am impressed with DM's recruiting thus far...Bute, Hugely, and Kohl...very impressive! Especially since none of those guys (last year) was highly recruited by other D1 schools. If DM thinks that this is one of his guys that he can work with and maybe develop, than I am all for it....

bluedevilfanatic
CCSU Fans Rookie
CCSU Fans Rookie

Post by bluedevilfanatic » Mon Mar 26, 2018 11:23 am

hilltopper wrote:
Sat Mar 24, 2018 12:07 pm
He's not ranked among the top 30 Connecticut prospects for 2018
Is Ellis a high school student, or is he a post grad? I think that list may be for HS players. Doesn't Chesire Academy have HS grads taking a post grad year prepping for college?
He is a post grad student according to NERR. He is from NYC and attended QHST (Queens High School for Teaching).

ccsuhoops
CCSU Fans Know it all
CCSU Fans Know it all

Post by ccsuhoops » Mon Mar 26, 2018 1:48 pm

CCSU4-3 wrote:
Fri Mar 23, 2018 3:33 pm

Additionally, there is now tentatively 4 PGs on the roster. I wonder if there's a pending transfer we aren't aware of.
Probably not. More like two of those 4 pg's can't cut it or can only cut it for a few min (second team). Also the fact that Camacho is an unknown. Might as well stack the deck at point guard as it's probably the biggest weakness in our game. Next year is the year imho. Miss and we are going an awfully long time w/out a bid.

CCSU4-3
CCSU Fans Know it all
CCSU Fans Know it all

Post by CCSU4-3 » Tue Mar 27, 2018 9:21 pm

hilltopper wrote:
Sat Mar 24, 2018 12:07 pm

Is this guy the same Will Ellis?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mZw67eABqGk

If that is the same player, he is not in a Chesire Acadamy uniform, then he looks to be extremely athletic, with some outside shooting. Can't tell too much from the highlight reel as it is a very selective sample, but he looks to be more of #2 rather than a PG, maybe a swing guard.
I am impressed with DM's recruiting thus far...Bute, Hugely, and Kohl...very impressive! Especially since none of those guys (last year) was highly recruited by other D1 schools. If DM thinks that this is one of his guys that he can work with and maybe develop, than I am all for it....
NERR's rankings include prep players.

But yeah, it's the same kid. He's quite explosive, based on that highlight.

NERR posted something about his commitment on the site yesterday:
A New York native who used his post-graduate year to both build up his body and prove himself against higher level competition, Ellis stuffed all columns of the stat sheet this year with 14.8 points, 6.1 assists, and 5.7 rebounds per game.

"Will is an explosive lead guard who led the team in scoring, rebounding, and assists. Players lie that usually have great careers in the NEC," said Cheshire Academy head coach Kevin Kehoe.
I'm cautiously optimistic.

hilltopper
CCSU Fans Know it all
CCSU Fans Know it all

Post by hilltopper » Wed Mar 28, 2018 11:38 am

You have to be. But as I said previously, I am impressed with DM's recruiting. Three home runs...Kohl, Hugely, and Bute. And the jury is still out on Camacho and Talek Williams. We know Hicks can shoot from three, and I expect he will be seeing much more playing time and might be Nehls' replacement.
Isn't this fun? after several years of doom and gloom, we now have some reason for optimism.

ccsuhoops
CCSU Fans Know it all
CCSU Fans Know it all

Post by ccsuhoops » Wed Mar 28, 2018 11:54 am

Bowles is the last Howie player now right?

CCSU4-3
CCSU Fans Know it all
CCSU Fans Know it all

Post by CCSU4-3 » Wed Mar 28, 2018 12:15 pm

hilltopper wrote:
Wed Mar 28, 2018 11:38 am
You have to be. But as I said previously, I am impressed with DM's recruiting. Three home runs...Kohl, Hugely, and Bute. And the jury is still out on Camacho and Talek Williams. We know Hicks can shoot from three, and I expect he will be seeing much more playing time and might be Nehls' replacement.
Isn't this fun? after several years of doom and gloom, we now have some reason for optimism.
I think you're reaching by giving DM credit for Kohl. That's called hiring an assistant coach with a talented family member.

I'm also concerned with the effect of the loss of Anthony Anderson, who was noted as a strong recruiter.

I guess I'm not as bullish on his recruiting as some. I think it's been fine/solid. But not much more than that.

ccsuhoops
CCSU Fans Know it all
CCSU Fans Know it all

Post by ccsuhoops » Wed Mar 28, 2018 1:46 pm

The kid looks good, just watched the video. He's quick, can handle the ball and can shoot. We have quick and can handle the ball but we def don't have can shoot so hoping this kid with Camacho will be our answer to the promise land. Wonder if Bowles sees the writing on the wall and bolts.

BigBlue92
CCSU Fans Regular
CCSU Fans Regular

Post by BigBlue92 » Sun Apr 08, 2018 7:55 pm

New signee...Jamir Coleman...6’6” SF JUCO transfer from South Plains College.

hilltopper
CCSU Fans Know it all
CCSU Fans Know it all

Post by hilltopper » Sun Apr 08, 2018 11:54 pm

According to my calculations there are now 14 scholarship players on the roster. Something has to give, there must be another player transferring out.

Deltaguy1
CCSU Fans Rookie
CCSU Fans Rookie

Post by Deltaguy1 » Mon Apr 09, 2018 1:35 am

Are you saying that we award on 13 scholarships in this program or that there is a limit in D1?

J.J.
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by J.J. » Mon Apr 09, 2018 9:50 am

13 is the NCAA maximum for MBB. CCSU offers the max scholarship in that sport.

FYI -15 is the number for WBB.

Shoreline
CCSU Fans Know it all
CCSU Fans Know it all

Post by Shoreline » Mon Apr 09, 2018 2:31 pm

Here is his bio page on the South Plains College (TX) website:
http://www.spctexans.com/sports/mbkb/20 ... jamir_jr6t