CCSU4-3
CCSU Fans Know it all
CCSU Fans Know it all

Re: 2018-19 Non-Conference schedule

Post by CCSU4-3 » Sat Sep 08, 2018 4:51 pm

J.J. wrote:
Sat Sep 08, 2018 2:56 pm
4-3,

You make a fair point and you are correct this is not just a CCSU problem, it is an NCAA issue. I respect your take and certainly think we have to put the entire schedule in perspective. This issue isn't new to D-I basketball and it has been going on for years at many other schools.

HOWEVER, this is now negatively impacting Central's basketball schedule and we don't have to like it. Just because our friends and peers are doing it, doesn't me we should! I'm not suggesting a boycott or anything to reflect poorly on the school or the team, but I think we should speak up and let them know we don't want to schedule these games in the future.

Central Connecticut is a blue-collar school that has ALWAYS tried to punch above our weight class. It is in our DNA and the previous schedules of Kaiser, Detrick, and Dickenman. We want to schedule and compete with the best the NCAA can offer. We don't want moral victories or cheap wins. We watch the games for the competition and want to dream big.

As far back as the 1935-36 season, tiny Connecticut Teachers College in just its 3rd intercollegiate season faced a "major" program - Brooklyn College. In March of 1947, Central Connecticut lost by just 6 points to Holy Cross before they would go on to win the NIT. In the late 1940s and 1950s, "major" programs were part of our small-college, regional schedule - Scranton, Siena, Valpo, St. Francis (NY), Miami (FL), and Iona. More recently, for the past 20+ years, we've very rarely had to schedule non-DI teams. Why is that - was Howie and the former ADs that good at scheduling?

I respect the people in the Athletic Department, but I absolutely think we must be more creative and more aggressive at scheduling. If the only option is taking more $$$ games, then that is certainly a better solution hosting junior colleges teams! I'm not suggesting we schedule like a MEAC/SWAC team and barnstorm through the ACC, Big Ten, and SEC. But I much rather see us take more road game for $$$ against "mid-majors" from the MAC, MVC, MWC, or WCC without a return home game.

What happened to the Mohegan Sun Classic at Detrick? How about offering to "host" a return game at Mohegan Sun Arena instead of taking a paycheck from a major? Signing a home/home series with Yale, Fairfield, or Quinnipiac - don't they need home games too? Try getting a home/home deal with a team that is traveling to UConn for a $$$ game, like we did with Florida International some years back?

Finally, if we concede we need to fill out a schedule with one lower-division opponent, than we should pick regional schools that fans/alumni/old-timers recognize. I find it embarrassing to the history of the program that we are willing to schedule a branch campus of the Pennsylvania State University that is not even a NCAA member. I rather send the $$$ to D-III WestConn or Eastern. Bring in Coast Guard or Trinity. We haven't played Southern Connecticut since 1985-86 season. Bottom line, there were certainly dozens of better options than scheduling D-III Pine Manor.
All reasonable points, and I don't actually think we disagree, per se. I think our assumptions are different.

I do wish we had 13 D1 games on the schedule. But i'm making the assumption Donyell Marshall wanted to, and tried to, schedule 13 D1 schools.

My assumption is that whoever had their hands in making the schedule (Marshall, administration) tried to schedule Yale, Quinnipiac, Fairfield, and other regional D1 programs. Fairfield has two NEC programs on its schedule, LIU on 11/13 and Wagner on 11/16. We play UMass-Lowell on 11/13, and it's reasonable that date was set in stone, and on 11/16 CCSU will be in Jamaica. Quinnipiac is beginning what I believe to be a home-and-home with St Francis (PA), and it's also reasonable that QU simply doesn't want to schedule CCSU. Yale does play at Bryant, but who knows; none of those schools have non-D1's on the schedule, so it doesn't look like any of them got desperate schedule-wise.

Now if we find out that CCSU turned down D1 games in order to schedule these two non-D1s, then I will not be happy. But absent that, assuming they made every effort to fill their schedule with only D1s, I'm not sure what else they were supposed to do.

Morale of the story; these games stink. I bet the coaches and players feel the same way.

J.J.
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by J.J. » Sat Sep 08, 2018 5:49 pm

We do agree and we don't know who they talked with and what opponents and dates were available. And we both know that scheduling at our level isn't easy because CCSU simply doesn't have much leverage or financial resources available. We also recognize that it is one of the toughest things the Athletic Department has to do. I too give the coaches and administrators all the benefit of the doubt.

But with all due respect to the improving football team and the rest of the sports teams, Men's Basketball has been and will always be our marquee program. It is the primary reason we are a Division I program and we need to ensure it receives as much exposure as possible.

Last season we didn't have our own radio coverage for all basketball games for the first time in decades. We are moving backwards ... If CCSU wants to sell more tickets, sponsorships, get people to donate, etc. then they have do everything to create a real D-I environment for the program. And if we want to compete for league championships and NCAA bids, I just don't think these games on the schedule help the team competitively at all.

Just as we saw with last night's football game vs. Lincoln, sometimes we are going to have to buy a home game from a lower division school. The reality is we win easily and students/fans don't really care to watch. Not to mention we can't get any media coverage for games like that - there was no pregame or postgame article in the Hartford Courant.

I certainly accept that fact we have to schedule a lower division opponent annually in football (and it might be the new reality in basketball too). So, if we have no choice and CCSU must schedule a non-DI team in basketball going forward, we can at least agree that we need to find better opponents than Penn State-Wilkes Barre and Pine Manor College?

J.J.
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by J.J. » Sat Sep 08, 2018 6:05 pm

What is funny is that I actually thought last season's non-conference schedule was possibly the best I've seen CCSU put together. It had nice Midwest flavor that we hadn't seen in years. Taking the team to Cleveland and Chicago, facing mid-major state schools like ECU, NIU, Cleveland State was fantastic. Rutgers, Boston College, DePaul. Plus the mix of America East and MEAC teams.

So with all that being said, let me be very positive about some things outside of those 2 non-DI games on this year's schedule ...

I really like the 11 D-I opponents on the schedule. It is a nice mix of games and a very nice MTE. The team goes on the road to Providence, Washington DC (Georgetown), and Los Angeles (LMU). Major opponents Oregon State and Virginia Tech add something new, as we've never played either program before.

Personally, I can travel to see 2 non-conference games in the DMV - at Georgetown and Virginia Tech (plus the Mt. St. Mary's game).

Hartford, Maine, and UMass-Lowell from the America East is always a positive to have on the schedule.

So in perspective, it is a very good schedule ... but 2 games short of being great.

Larryl9797
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Larryl9797 » Mon Sep 10, 2018 7:56 am

It would be good to see how a fellow Mid-Con team is doing at Cleveland State, my guess facilities are better.

Deltaguy1
CCSU Fans Rookie
CCSU Fans Rookie

Post by Deltaguy1 » Tue Sep 11, 2018 1:00 pm

hilltopper
CCSU Fans Know it all
CCSU Fans Know it all

Post by hilltopper » Tue Sep 11, 2018 4:35 pm

Despite the two non D1 schools, it looks like a very tough non conference schedule.

ccsuhoops
CCSU Fans Know it all
CCSU Fans Know it all

Post by ccsuhoops » Tue Sep 11, 2018 5:22 pm

hilltopper wrote:
Tue Sep 11, 2018 4:35 pm
Despite the two non D1 schools, it looks like a very tough non conference schedule.
Agreed.

Don't think we ever saw the team before November have we? Maybe that one time Howie had like a practice/srrimage/dinner in they gym type event. Miss that stuff.

Pine Manor, :roll: Is it me? Or does that sound like a retirement home? "feel confident in sending your loved ones to Pine Manor, our scenic, woodland surroundings make for hours of entertainment, complete with shuffle board, cribbage and nap time" :lol: :lol: :lol:

Skyhawkct
CCSU Fans Know it all
CCSU Fans Know it all

Post by Skyhawkct » Tue Sep 11, 2018 7:31 pm

ccsuhoops
CCSU Fans Know it all
CCSU Fans Know it all

Post by ccsuhoops » Wed Sep 12, 2018 12:04 pm

Ha! I KNEW it! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

hilltopper
CCSU Fans Know it all
CCSU Fans Know it all

Post by hilltopper » Wed Sep 12, 2018 1:48 pm

Actually Pine Manor Health Center has some very good basketball players. Most of them are in their late 70's and early 80's, but they make up for the lack of youthful athletic ability with experience, and you can't teach that!
I expect a tough game :oops:

hilltopper
CCSU Fans Know it all
CCSU Fans Know it all

Post by hilltopper » Wed Sep 12, 2018 2:26 pm

700-00554959en_Masterfile.jpg

ccsuhoops
CCSU Fans Know it all
CCSU Fans Know it all

Post by ccsuhoops » Wed Sep 12, 2018 2:50 pm

hilltopper wrote:
Wed Sep 12, 2018 2:26 pm
700-00554959en_Masterfile.jpg
Nice...

RonnyRob15
CCSU Fans Know it all
CCSU Fans Know it all

Post by RonnyRob15 » Thu Sep 13, 2018 10:39 pm

CCSU4-3 wrote:
Sat Sep 08, 2018 12:08 pm
I'll have some formalized thoughts on the schedule once it's officially released, but I really think you guys are missing the forest through the trees.

None of you have to like having games against non-D1s on the schedule. And of course, feel free to boycott them. But if you think this is a CCSU issue, or even an NEC issue, you're not paying attention. I am going to do the research, but there are at least DOZENS of Division 1 programs with multiple non-D1s on their schedules, including numerous programs with three, and sometimes even FOUR, of these types of games.

Direct your ire at the NCAA for allowing an increased number of MTE's, or for allowing conferences to go to 20-game schedules. Or go yell at high major coaches who won't travel for true road games in November and December. This is NOT Donyell Marshall's fault, nor the CCSU administration.

The likely alternative to these games were more buy games at high major schools, which likely does less for the development of the team than these non-D1 games do, where at least the coaching staff can tinker and get playing time for some of the younger guys on the squad.

If you think that there was no effort to even SCHEDULE D1 home games for 2018, I'd love to know why you think that.
They have 11 teams again? Play 30 conference games.

That home schedule is so ridiculous words can’t describe it.

RonnyRob15
CCSU Fans Know it all
CCSU Fans Know it all

Post by RonnyRob15 » Thu Sep 13, 2018 10:44 pm

You want to fix the basketball schedule? Drop the football program so the basketball team doesn’t have to travel the country getting dismantled for paydays.

That’s a MEAC/SWAC schedule. I hope Jersey Mike is covering the Jamacia trip.

J.J.
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by J.J. » Fri Sep 14, 2018 8:33 am

RR-
The HOME portion of the non-conference schedule is complete garbage: just 3 home games (junior college, D-III, and UMass-Lowell). There is no excuse for it, none.

However, I disagree that the rest of the schedule is MEAC/SWAC quality and FCS football has little impact on our need to schedule $$ games in basketball. We need a few $$$ games each year because we have no other source of revenue for basketball (tickets, sponsorships, conference revenue, media deals are minimal or non-existent).

(4) high-majors:
@ Providence - $, Big East, local team
@ Virginia Tech - $, ACC, regional team
@ Oregon State - $, Pac-12, Pacific time zone, flight
@ Georgetown - $, Big East, regional team, part of MTE

(1) mid-majors:
@ Loyola Marymount - $, WCC, part of MTE

(5) One-bid conferences / "peers" / low-majors:
vs. Austin Peay - @ Jamaica, OVC, part of MTE
vs. Florida A&M - @ Jamaica, MEAC, part of MTE
@ Hartford - America East, return game
@ N.C. A&T - MEAC, return game