2018-19 Non-Conference schedule

Lets talk some Hoops!
ccsuhoops
CCSU Fans Know it all
CCSU Fans Know it all

Re: 2018-19 Non-Conference schedule

Post by ccsuhoops » Wed Aug 22, 2018 3:33 pm

Totally agree J.J. Playing D3 is pure embarrassment and to me, feels like a lazy scheduling move. Plenty of fish in the sea if you will. I know we aren't there yet but the year that we are, come tourney time, there better not be any d3 teams on our schedule, I know they don't count but the selection committee will give us an automatic pig for sure, simply for stooping so low. Ugh, don't forget the torment from EE fans and basically everyone you know that's not a CCSU fan. Ugh. Ticked off already about hoops and were not even to football yet, lol

Perhaps this is a lack of an AD thing? At least I hope so. I read an article on the Herald where he was talking about spending money wisely and not wasting it, hopefully this is what he was talking about. Also talked about getting involved with the other non athletic groups on campus as they ask for their support and he wants to show good faith by going to their events. Mentioned interacting with just about everyone in the article with the exception of alumni and fans, hope that's not a bad sign.

J.J.
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by J.J. » Wed Aug 22, 2018 3:44 pm

ccsuhoops wrote:
Wed Aug 22, 2018 3:33 pm
I know we aren't there yet but the year that we are, come tourney time, there better not be any d3 teams on our schedule, I know they don't count but the selection committee will give us an automatic pig for sure, simply for stooping so low. Ugh, don't forget the torment from EE fans and basically everyone you know that's not a CCSU fan.
You bring up another GREAT point! From the NCAA's perspective and anyone college hoops fans, these games are meaningless for evaluating the relative strength of our team. Winning by 20+ is not very helpful. And going deep on the bench for experience isn't ideal either because the competition is far below what they will see vs. even the worst NEC teams.

Basically, these 2 lower-division home game are glorified exhibitions. They do not count in the RPI (or whatever the new NCAA system is now). We get ZERO benefit for winning the games - nothing, nada, zilch. (I won't even contemplate what a loss does - because it is very unlikely and devastating)

But win the NEC AQ with this schedule (11-game non-conference; which includes 3-5 guaranteed losses to high-majors) and you have guaranteed a trip to Dayton for the First Four.

ccsuhoops
CCSU Fans Know it all
CCSU Fans Know it all

Post by ccsuhoops » Tue Sep 04, 2018 4:48 pm

Any updates on when the schedule will be released?

J.J.
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by J.J. » Thu Sep 06, 2018 10:30 am

With word of Penn State-Wilkes Barre and Pine Manor as the the 2 home games, the rest of the schedule is on the road.

It is looking like we will only have 3 true guarantee games this season. We got dates with an ACC (Virginia Tech) and Pac-12 (Oregon State) team, in addition to previously announced Providence.

Also looks like we get Georgetown and Loyola Marymount as the 2 campuses games as part of the Jamaica Classic.

ccsuhoops
CCSU Fans Know it all
CCSU Fans Know it all

Post by ccsuhoops » Thu Sep 06, 2018 10:44 am

J.J. wrote:
Thu Sep 06, 2018 10:30 am
With word of Penn State-Wilkes Barre and Pine Manor as the the 2 home games, the rest of the schedule is on the road.

It is looking like we will only have 3 true guarantee games this season. We got dates with an ACC (Virginia Tech) and Pac-12 (Oregon State) team, in addition to previously announced Providence.

Also looks like we get Georgetown and Loyola Marymount as the 2 campuses games as part of the Jamaica Classic.
God that's awful. 2 games that I'm pretty sure I'm going to boycott on principal alone. Any word where/when the Georgetown and Loyola games are?

hilltopper
CCSU Fans Know it all
CCSU Fans Know it all

Post by hilltopper » Thu Sep 06, 2018 6:28 pm

Pine Manor? That's not Pine Manor Convalescent Center is it?
https://pinemanorhealthcarecenter.com/
Hmmm, just wondering.

Skyhawkct
CCSU Fans Know it all
CCSU Fans Know it all

Post by Skyhawkct » Thu Sep 06, 2018 8:20 pm

May as well be. I heard next year they are scheduling "Our Lady of the Pines Seminary".

ccsuhoops
CCSU Fans Know it all
CCSU Fans Know it all

Post by ccsuhoops » Thu Sep 06, 2018 11:01 pm

Just saw a thing for Mohegan that said uri is playing West Va on 12-16? What gives? Thought we were playing them that day?

CCSU4-3
CCSU Fans Know it all
CCSU Fans Know it all

Post by CCSU4-3 » Fri Sep 07, 2018 8:31 am

ccsuhoops wrote:
Thu Sep 06, 2018 11:01 pm
Just saw a thing for Mohegan that said uri is playing West Va on 12-16? What gives? Thought we were playing them that day?
I think you are getting URI and Providence mixed up. CCSU at Providence on 12/16. I don't believe we play URI this season.

J.J.
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by J.J. » Fri Sep 07, 2018 10:51 am

IMO - Last season's schedule was perfect. Disappointed that Donyell had to schedule 2 non-DI teams this season. Howie scheduled just 2 D-II/III home games in his 20 seasons as head coach. I hope this in't the start of a trend in our scheduling.

Here's a look at DM's 3 seasons of non-conference scheduling:
Capture mbb.JPG

J.J.
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by J.J. » Fri Sep 07, 2018 12:28 pm

Here's a tentative sneak preview of the MBB 2018-19 Schedule (3 Home; 8 Away; 2 Neutral)

Nov. 6 at Hartford
Nov. 10 at Georgetown
Nov. 13 vs. UMass-Lowell
Nov. 16 vs. Austin Peay (@ Jamaica)
Nov. 18 vs. Florida A&M (@ Jamaica)
Nov. 21 at Loyola Marymount
Nov. 25 vs. Pine Manor College
Nov. 29 at North Carolina A&T
Dec. 1 at Virginia Tech
Dec. 8 vs. Penn State-Wilkes Barre
Dec. 16 at Providence
Dec. 22 at Maine
Dec. 29 at Oregon State

Shoreline
CCSU Fans Know it all
CCSU Fans Know it all

Post by Shoreline » Fri Sep 07, 2018 12:55 pm

"God that's awful. 2 games that I'm pretty sure I'm going to boycott on principal alone." ccsuhoops.

Absolutely. After tonight's event with Lincoln, I will be skipping any future D2 or D3 contests in football or basketball.

CCSU4-3
CCSU Fans Know it all
CCSU Fans Know it all

Post by CCSU4-3 » Sat Sep 08, 2018 12:08 pm

I'll have some formalized thoughts on the schedule once it's officially released, but I really think you guys are missing the forest through the trees.

None of you have to like having games against non-D1s on the schedule. And of course, feel free to boycott them. But if you think this is a CCSU issue, or even an NEC issue, you're not paying attention. I am going to do the research, but there are at least DOZENS of Division 1 programs with multiple non-D1s on their schedules, including numerous programs with three, and sometimes even FOUR, of these types of games.

Direct your ire at the NCAA for allowing an increased number of MTE's, or for allowing conferences to go to 20-game schedules. Or go yell at high major coaches who won't travel for true road games in November and December. This is NOT Donyell Marshall's fault, nor the CCSU administration.

The likely alternative to these games were more buy games at high major schools, which likely does less for the development of the team than these non-D1 games do, where at least the coaching staff can tinker and get playing time for some of the younger guys on the squad.

If you think that there was no effort to even SCHEDULE D1 home games for 2018, I'd love to know why you think that.

Skyhawkct
CCSU Fans Know it all
CCSU Fans Know it all

Post by Skyhawkct » Sat Sep 08, 2018 2:16 pm

Thank you for the insight 4-3. It sure gave me plenty of "food for thought" and your points are very valid.

J.J.
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by J.J. » Sat Sep 08, 2018 2:56 pm

4-3,

You make a fair point and you are correct this is not just a CCSU problem, it is an NCAA issue. I respect your take and certainly think we have to put the entire schedule in perspective. This issue isn't new to D-I basketball and it has been going on for years at many other schools.

HOWEVER, this is now negatively impacting Central's basketball schedule and we don't have to like it. Just because our friends and peers are doing it, doesn't me we should! I'm not suggesting a boycott or anything to reflect poorly on the school or the team, but I think we should speak up and let them know we don't want to schedule these games in the future.

Central Connecticut is a blue-collar school that has ALWAYS tried to punch above our weight class. It is in our DNA and the previous schedules of Kaiser, Detrick, and Dickenman. We want to schedule and compete with the best the NCAA can offer. We don't want moral victories or cheap wins. We watch the games for the competition and want to dream big.

As far back as the 1935-36 season, tiny Connecticut Teachers College in just its 3rd intercollegiate season faced a "major" program - Brooklyn College. In March of 1947, Central Connecticut lost by just 6 points to Holy Cross before they would go on to win the NIT. In the late 1940s and 1950s, "major" programs were part of our small-college, regional schedule - Scranton, Siena, Valpo, St. Francis (NY), Miami (FL), and Iona. More recently, for the past 20+ years, we've very rarely had to schedule non-DI teams. Why is that - was Howie and the former ADs that good at scheduling?

I respect the people in the Athletic Department, but I absolutely think we must be more creative and more aggressive at scheduling. If the only option is taking more $$$ games, then that is certainly a better solution hosting junior colleges teams! I'm not suggesting we schedule like a MEAC/SWAC team and barnstorm through the ACC, Big Ten, and SEC. But I much rather see us take more road game for $$$ against "mid-majors" from the MAC, MVC, MWC, or WCC without a return home game.

What happened to the Mohegan Sun Classic at Detrick? How about offering to "host" a return game at Mohegan Sun Arena instead of taking a paycheck from a major? Signing a home/home series with Yale, Fairfield, or Quinnipiac - don't they need home games too? Try getting a home/home deal with a team that is traveling to UConn for a $$$ game, like we did with Florida International some years back?

Finally, if we concede we need to fill out a schedule with one lower-division opponent, than we should pick regional schools that fans/alumni/old-timers recognize. I find it embarrassing to the history of the program that we are willing to schedule a branch campus of the Pennsylvania State University that is not even a NCAA member. I rather send the $$$ to D-III WestConn or Eastern. Bring in Coast Guard or Trinity. We haven't played Southern Connecticut since 1985-86 season. Bottom line, there were certainly dozens of better options than scheduling D-III Pine Manor.