2018-19 Non-Conference schedule

Lets talk some Hoops!
hilltopper
CCSU Fans Know it all
CCSU Fans Know it all

Re: 2018-19 Non-Conference schedule

Post by hilltopper » Sat Aug 11, 2018 7:54 pm

Didn't we play UofH away last year? Or is this a new away/home series?

J.J.
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by J.J. » Sat Aug 11, 2018 8:37 pm

hilltopper wrote:
Sat Aug 11, 2018 7:54 pm
Didn't we play UofH away last year? Or is this a new away/home series?
This is year 3 of a 5-year contract.
The Central Connecticut men's basketball team opens the 2017-18 season at Hartford on Friday night. The 8:00 p.m. tipoff between the local rivals will be broadcast on ESPN3. The Blue Devils are opening their season against the Hawks for the third straight season.

Central won last year's matchup over the Hawks, 75-60, at Detrick Gymnasium. This will be the second meeting of a five-year agreement. Next season's meeting will also be at Hartford before the teams alternate hosting the final two meetings of the series.
http://www.ccsubluedevils.com/sports/mb ... 1108mgcaox

CCSU4-3
CCSU Fans Know it all
CCSU Fans Know it all

Post by CCSU4-3 » Thu Aug 16, 2018 2:39 pm

FYI Nelson Castillo is reporting that there's likely to be AT LEAST 1 non-D1 on the CCSU schedule. Of the 6 NEC schools to release their non-conference schedules, Bryant is the only school without a non-D1.

ccsuhoops
CCSU Fans Know it all
CCSU Fans Know it all

Post by ccsuhoops » Thu Aug 16, 2018 3:04 pm

Dont know what I hate more, playing d2 or not having home games in December. Still don't get why we can't just get deals w/ d1 teams.

J.J.
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by J.J. » Mon Aug 20, 2018 10:27 pm

CCSU4-3 wrote:
Thu Aug 16, 2018 2:39 pm
FYI Nelson Castillo is reporting that there's likely to be AT LEAST 1 non-D1 on the CCSU schedule. Of the 6 NEC schools to release their non-conference schedules, Bryant is the only school without a non-D1.
Yep. I also think we have two lower-division opponents on the schedule this season. :roll: The rest of our schedule is solid, but this is a HUGE DISAPPOINTMENT and a major step backwards for the program.

We should take 2 more $$$ games on the road, or start new deals with on the ROAD to get home games next year. They can't justify these D-II/D-III games just to fill out a home schedule. This is not Central Connecticut Basketball [-X

CCSU has scheduled just two non-DI team at home in the last 20+ seasons:
12/29/2013 vs. Albertus Magnus (D-III)
12/2/1995 vs. North Adams State (D-III)

And CCSU hasn't scheduled more than one non-DI opponent in the same season since 1993-94 (Concordia, North Adams State, and CCNY).

ccsuhoops
CCSU Fans Know it all
CCSU Fans Know it all

Post by ccsuhoops » Tue Aug 21, 2018 10:13 am

I agree J.J. this is definitely a cop out. Don't tell me QU is so mighty that they can't start a series with us. Same for Yale. Why can't we get games with AE teams? QU does it, Bryant does it? What about Columbia? We have an in w/ them in football? Seriously, who is in charge of this? D2 games are meaningless except of course to get a home game. There is no other upside, we have to pay the other team I'm assuming, if we lose, well... This may be the first conversation I have w/ the new AD.

hilltopper
CCSU Fans Know it all
CCSU Fans Know it all

Post by hilltopper » Tue Aug 21, 2018 10:28 am

I am of the opinion that any D2 or D3 game should be an exhibition.

And yes we should be playing more money games and/or playing home/homes with other non power conference local D1 schools. There are plenty of potential games with D1 schools in both categories.

J.J.
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by J.J. » Tue Aug 21, 2018 11:19 am

hilltopper wrote:
Tue Aug 21, 2018 10:28 am
I am of the opinion that any D2 or D3 game should be an exhibition.

And yes we should be playing more money games and/or playing home/homes with other non power conference local D1 schools. There are plenty of potential games with D1 schools in both categories.
Here is one lower division game tentatively on the schedule and it is embarrassing:

(Sat, Dec. 8) CCSU vs. Penn State Wilkes-Barre (non-NCAA)
http://athletics.wb.psu.edu/sports/mbkb ... 9/schedule

This is a branch campus of Penn State University. This would be like Central playing UConn-Avery Point in baseball. Fine for an exhibition game, but an inexcusable regular season opponent for a NCAA D-I program like CCSU.

Take the $$$ game in University Park, or just schedule Lafayette, Bucknell, etc. (any D-I team) on the road for a return game in New Britain next year.

Finally, not that I would totally endorse it, but at least play a D-II PSAC team like West Chester or Slippery Rock if you really want to play a lower division team from Pennsylvania. At least those schools are institutionally similar to CCSU and were former "peers" from our D-II era.

Shoreline
CCSU Fans Know it all
CCSU Fans Know it all

Post by Shoreline » Tue Aug 21, 2018 3:46 pm

"Here is one lower division game tentatively on the schedule and it is embarrassing:
(Sat, Dec. 8) CCSU vs. Penn State Wilkes-Barre (non-NCAA)." J.J.

Scheduling DII/DIII basketball opponents during the season is preposterous and such games should be boycotted by the fans. Fortunately we will probably have a football playoff game on December 8th.

ccsuhoops
CCSU Fans Know it all
CCSU Fans Know it all

Post by ccsuhoops » Tue Aug 21, 2018 5:09 pm

Agreed Shore, what's next? Little Sisters of the Poor? smh...

hilltopper
CCSU Fans Know it all
CCSU Fans Know it all

Post by hilltopper » Tue Aug 21, 2018 6:24 pm

Look on the bright side. The PS Wilkes Barre game will make for some excellent photos. Their away uniforms are navy blue and say only "Penn State."
Get those cameras ready.

This is bad, but not as bad as it would be to lose the game. Whoa, don't go there.

Skyhawkct
CCSU Fans Know it all
CCSU Fans Know it all

Post by Skyhawkct » Wed Aug 22, 2018 6:20 am

Well...we did go there several years ago...back in 1989. #-o

ccsuhoops
CCSU Fans Know it all
CCSU Fans Know it all

Post by ccsuhoops » Wed Aug 22, 2018 10:10 am

"Penn State" in the high school gym! Sweeeeeeet!

CCSU4-3
CCSU Fans Know it all
CCSU Fans Know it all

Post by CCSU4-3 » Wed Aug 22, 2018 1:48 pm

I know you guys dont like it, but this isn't a "CCSU problem". Just about every low/mid major has AT LEAST 1 (if not 2) non D1 programs on their schedule.

I'm not sure if this is it, but I wonder if it has to do with requiring a minimum number of home games for season ticket holders. I know that comes into play with high major "buy games".

Most teams are hosting non D1s around Christmas time. On the plus side, it might give some playing time opportunities to guys who have largely sit the bench up to that point.

I don't love it, but it's the nature of the beast at this point. Not enough D1 home games to go around.

J.J.
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by J.J. » Wed Aug 22, 2018 2:29 pm

4-3, I respectfully disagree. In the last 23 seasons, we have had just 2 lower-division home games - that's it - just 2. Currently there are about 50 more D-I teams since CCSU reclassified to the highest division for the 1986-87 season. However, we now have as many non-DI games in a single season than we've had in the last 23 years?!?!?!?

Lots of programs have a much harder time finding home games because of location (Maine, North Dakota, etc), but we just don't have that problem.

There is no reason we can't get enough home-home deals with regional low majors. The AE, MAAC, Patriot, Ivy, MEAC, CAA, offer more than enough teams to work out fair deals. Hell, we may have to get on a plane for these deals and look at OVC, A-Sun, or other "peer" leagues.

We just have to be balanced. If we set a goals of having 6 mid-major opponents a year rotating home/road we would be fine. That's 3 home games - the best a program like Central can hope for. Now, in addition to the 3 road games vs. mid-majors; we can find up to 5 guarantee games to balance the budget; or get into a MTE and take 3 "money" games.

The problem is this year we have just 4 mid-major on the schedule and 3 of these games are on the road - it is unbalanced. If these games were split 2 home and 2 away, maybe we don't need to buy a home game from a D-III school. And we certainly don't need to buy 2 games, plus the exhibition!

While I agree lower-division games are certainly a trend in the regional and Nationally with programs like ours, we just don't have to do it. IMO, it isn't anything we should be proud of. The "names" on the NEC schedule suck to begin with, so adding home games vs. JC and D-III teams is a joke.

Of course I'm going to support the team and the program, but as fans we have to speak up and say this isn't what we want to watch - it isn't entertaining in the slightest. I can't imagine anyone would rather drive to Detrick to watch us blow-out a D-III team instead of watching CCSU on online vs. a D-I program, even if we lose.

Finally, for a Athletic Department that is so broke we have cut sports teams and scholarships, I just don't see how we can walk away from $$$ games to fill out the schedule. We lose money hosting a game like Penn State-Wilkes Barre, with just a few hundred in the stands. We are much better off starting a D-I series on the road for a return game, or just taking the cash from a larger program.