Next Season

Lets talk some Hoops!
CCSU4-3
CCSU Fans Know it all
CCSU Fans Know it all

Re: Next Season

Post by CCSU4-3 »

ccsuhoops wrote: Thu Jul 30, 2020 4:01 pm First off, I feel the NEC missed the mark. They could have and should have done an NEC only schedule. It could have been done safely with fans. Alas, they chose to cancel. Seeing as basketball is actually indoors, during flu season, I can't see how they don't hide from that as well. My guess at this point is college ball on our level will be cancelled until a vaccine is made available. See you all in September 2021... I hope... :x :x :x :x :x :x :x :x :x :x :x :x :x :x :x :x
I don't really think the NEC had a choice- once other leagues in the Northeast canceled fall sports, they had to follow suit.

As for hoops- I 100% agree. I think best case scenario is they are able to play their conference schedule early in 2021 (January? or even a reduced schedule beginning later than that?). I think there's close to a zero chance they are playing in November or December.
ccsuhoops
CCSU Fans Know it all
CCSU Fans Know it all

Post by ccsuhoops »

So from everything I’ve read it’s not a matter of if cbb will be played it’s how. Here’s a good one to ponder, so a vaccine is supposed to be ready by fall, per one of the major news sites, forget which, reading the comments it’s clear that the overwhelming majority will NOT take it. Now what???
GameDay
CCSU FANS Recruit
CCSU FANS Recruit

Post by GameDay »

The NCAA announced that the 2020-21 Division I men's college basketball season will begin on Wednesday, Nov. 25.
ccsuhoops
CCSU Fans Know it all
CCSU Fans Know it all

Post by ccsuhoops »

GameDay wrote: Sun Sep 20, 2020 9:05 pm The NCAA announced that the 2020-21 Division I men's college basketball season will begin on Wednesday, Nov. 25.
Assuming no fans???
GameDay
CCSU FANS Recruit
CCSU FANS Recruit

Post by GameDay »

No word on fans that I can find. That probably will be determined by each conference. Other info released this week was,

Teams can begin practicing on Wednesday, Oct. 14

No exhibitions or scrimmages will be played

The maximum number of contests was reduced by four

The Council recommended a minimum of four non-conference games

Teams may play no more than 27 regular-season games
Shoreline
CCSU Fans Know it all
CCSU Fans Know it all

Post by Shoreline »

The 2020/2021 roster has been posted:
http://www.ccsubluedevils.com/sports/mb ... -21/roster
ccsuhoops
CCSU Fans Know it all
CCSU Fans Know it all

Post by ccsuhoops »

11 players? That’s it?
Larryl9797
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Larryl9797 »

If someone gets hurt... one of the assistant coaches will be lacing them up to go 5x5.....
“You can be as talented as you want, but if you don’t play together and as a team, you’re not going to win.” -Donyell Marshall 1-21-2019
Larryl9797
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Larryl9797 »

The Blue Devils Den put out a stat filled Incoming / Out going - player sheet for this season upcoming. Take a look.... https://www.thebluedevilsden.com/single ... on-Tracker

Now to see if the streams will be modified for zero attendance games... H,mmmmmmmmm
“You can be as talented as you want, but if you don’t play together and as a team, you’re not going to win.” -Donyell Marshall 1-21-2019
hilltopper
CCSU Fans Know it all
CCSU Fans Know it all

Post by hilltopper »

What is going on here?
-why is Central at only eleven scholarships? no incoming freshman! is that because of the virus? are there other NEC schools below the allowed 13 scholarships? are there other NEC schools with no incoming freshman? If this is not a league wide problem, then why us?

also:
-the PF transfer from Fairfield is not here, so I guess that fell through.
- I am not optimistic that Central is going to have an NEC competitive front line unless Wilson, Ola, or Wallace have made a developmental leap, which admittedly is possible as there certainly is some talent there.
-I am not discounting the possibility that Ola could be the difference but last year he seemed to be hindered by injuries. Bigs with chronic leg and foot issues usually cannot contribute a lot of playing time. I don't know if that is the case with Ola, but I suspect that health is why he got so little PT last year.
-Central is probably in better shape than SHU as they have lost several players that gave a huge amount of last year's minutes played. Central by contrast, is returning all of their core. That's the good news, the bad news is that core did not win many games.
CCSU4-3
CCSU Fans Know it all
CCSU Fans Know it all

Post by CCSU4-3 »

hilltopper wrote: Wed Sep 30, 2020 10:06 am What is going on here?
-why is Central at only eleven scholarships? no incoming freshman! is that because of the virus? are there other NEC schools below the allowed 13 scholarships? are there other NEC schools with no incoming freshman? If this is not a league wide problem, then why us?

also:
-the PF transfer from Fairfield is not here, so I guess that fell through.
- I am not optimistic that Central is going to have an NEC competitive front line unless Wilson, Ola, or Wallace have made a developmental leap, which admittedly is possible as there certainly is some talent there.
-I am not discounting the possibility that Ola could be the difference but last year he seemed to be hindered by injuries. Bigs with chronic leg and foot issues usually cannot contribute a lot of playing time. I don't know if that is the case with Ola, but I suspect that health is why he got so little PT last year.
-Central is probably in better shape than SHU as they have lost several players that gave a huge amount of last year's minutes played. Central by contrast, is returning all of their core. That's the good news, the bad news is that core did not win many games.
A few things;

- The administration has continued to tighten the purse strings on Donyell Marshall, which is why there were initially only 12 scholarships filled (as opposed to the D1 max of 13). This was decided way back in the spring.
- Wassef Methnani, the grad transfer from Fairfield, signed a pro contract in his native Tunisia a few weeks ago. Methnani was expected to be the starter at the '5', and it was a surprise to the coaching staff. I'm not sure if the pandemic came into play, or if the offer was just too good to pass up. But this is a major loss, despite the fact that he never appeared in uniform.
- The coaching staff can still look to fill that scholarship for the 2nd semester, but at this stage in the calendar it'd be tough to find someone who would be eligible, let alone someone who could fill those shoes.
- I'm assuming the staff didn't go after freshmen because this is the final year on Marshall's contract, so the last thing they are looking to do is rebuild. If Marshall is not brought back, most (if not all) of the guys who are currently sophomores and juniors will be gone anyway. The plan was to bring in better PGs (presumably they did with Mitchell and Scantlebury) and a guy who can start at the 5 (Methnani) and compete.

Right now Marshall has to rely on getting one of their JUCO PGs to come in and be a league average lead guard (FWIW both guys put up amazing stats, but at low level JUCO schools) and development from the current front court members. He'll likely play small with Jamir Reed at the '4' a ton (at least, that's what I would do). Also, he's got to hope there are no injuries, because this roster is not deep at all.
ccsuhoops
CCSU Fans Know it all
CCSU Fans Know it all

Post by ccsuhoops »

This is freaking ridiculous and we’ve seen this nightmare play out already, not enough players, can’t have a full practice, what if one or more get hurt? Covid? It’s freaking bush league to not have 13 plus walk ons as back ups.

One of two things is going on here. We are done with DM, set him up to fail and be done. Or, our pres has given up on hoops. This doesn’t sound good at all. Unreal.
CCSU4-3
CCSU Fans Know it all
CCSU Fans Know it all

Post by CCSU4-3 »

ccsuhoops wrote: Wed Sep 30, 2020 3:08 pm This is freaking ridiculous and we’ve seen this nightmare play out already, not enough players, can’t have a full practice, what if one or more get hurt? Covid? It’s freaking bush league to not have 13 plus walk ons as back ups.

One of two things is going on here. We are done with DM, set him up to fail and be done. Or, our pres has given up on hoops. This doesn’t sound good at all. Unreal.
Agree 100%.

I was led to believe that MBB is not the only sport not getting it's full allotment of scholarships. I'd assume other sports are experiencing something similar, but I can't confirm it.
hilltopper
CCSU Fans Know it all
CCSU Fans Know it all

Post by hilltopper »

Thanks for the info. Tough break, I guess we can't blame DM for Methnani going pro. But it is certainly going to hurt the play in the paint, and yes I think that we are going to see Reed get a lot of minutes at the four.
GameDay
CCSU FANS Recruit
CCSU FANS Recruit

Post by GameDay »

Has the NEC officially announced that the winter sports will be played. If so have they made any restrictions on any of the sports and will fans be allowed in the stands. Has CCSU officially made any of the same decisions. I do know as for the students they will be following the same protocols next semester as they are currently for this semester. They are not even allowed in any dorm they do not live in. Very few students were allowed to attend in person classes and even fewer students took advantage of in person classes that CCSU allowed.