New scoreboard in Detrick Gym

Lets talk some Hoops!
Post Reply
J.J.
Site Admin
Site Admin
Posts: 3889
Joined: Tue Sep 12, 2006 10:52 am
Location: Washington, DC

New scoreboard in Detrick Gym

Post by J.J. » Wed Jun 05, 2019 6:48 pm

A nice improvement to the cozy confines of Detrick Gym. Next let's get rid of those awful NEC school "banners" :)

User avatar
Skyhawkct
CCSU Fans Know it all
CCSU Fans Know it all
Posts: 1976
Joined: Mon Oct 02, 2006 5:37 pm

Re: New scoreboard in Detrick Gym

Post by Skyhawkct » Wed Jun 05, 2019 8:55 pm

It looks great next to all those exposed pipes and cables and curtain rods.

I’m trying to be optimistic and I’m sure it’s an improvement but there is only so much lipstick you can put on a pig.

hilltopper
CCSU Fans Know it all
CCSU Fans Know it all
Posts: 1359
Joined: Sat Feb 16, 2008 9:42 am

Re: New scoreboard in Detrick Gym

Post by hilltopper » Fri Jun 07, 2019 1:15 pm

Now if only we could build a nice and cozy 3500 seat arena around the scoreboard
HonKhONK

Shoreline
CCSU Fans Know it all
CCSU Fans Know it all
Posts: 542
Joined: Wed Oct 25, 2006 10:43 pm

Re: New scoreboard in Detrick Gym

Post by Shoreline » Fri Jun 07, 2019 4:51 pm

Dreams of playing in the new, state-of-the-art ElmerDome have faded.

User avatar
newbritainite
CCSU Fans Know it all
CCSU Fans Know it all
Posts: 975
Joined: Mon Oct 02, 2006 10:55 pm
Location: Morris, Connecticut

Re: New scoreboard in Detrick Gym

Post by newbritainite » Sun Jun 09, 2019 3:25 am

Love it!!
CCSU Class of 2004
Football NEC Champions: 2004 * 2005 * 2009 * 2010 * 2017 *
Men's Basketball NEC Champions: 2000 * 2002 * 2007
The lone CT Men's Basketball team in the NCAA Tournament in 2007.

User avatar
ccsuhoops
CCSU Fans Know it all
CCSU Fans Know it all
Posts: 3547
Joined: Wed Oct 17, 2007 12:10 pm

Re: New scoreboard in Detrick Gym

Post by ccsuhoops » Mon Jun 10, 2019 10:25 am

Take THAT Mount Saint Mary's and Bryant!

I"m sure it's nice and I'm sure it's an improvement over the old but unless its a new field house....sigh...

Are we now the only high school gym left in the conference aside from SFNY? Big mistake not making the new rec center a field house and then renovating Detrick to be a rec center. Wasted all that space.

User avatar
Skyhawkct
CCSU Fans Know it all
CCSU Fans Know it all
Posts: 1976
Joined: Mon Oct 02, 2006 5:37 pm

Re: New scoreboard in Detrick Gym

Post by Skyhawkct » Mon Jun 10, 2019 2:17 pm

ccsuhoops wrote:
Mon Jun 10, 2019 10:25 am
Take THAT Mount Saint Mary's and Bryant!

I"m sure it's nice and I'm sure it's an improvement over the old but unless its a new field house....sigh...

Are we now the only high school gym left in the conference aside from SFNY? Big mistake not making the new rec center a field house and then renovating Detrick to be a rec center. Wasted all that space.
Totally agree. Someone else suggested that very same thing to me and it made a ton of sense.

The lower floor of Detrick already has a weight training center and sports med facilities so why didn’t they expand on that and, as you sad, construct a field house?

One thing that photo showed was that precious little, if anything, is being done to renovate the gym.

User avatar
Larryl9797
Site Admin
Site Admin
Posts: 1109
Joined: Tue Sep 12, 2006 3:24 pm
Location: Central Connecticut
Contact:

Re: New scoreboard in Detrick Gym

Post by Larryl9797 » Mon Jun 10, 2019 2:38 pm

Any improvement is welcome.... Ill take it.
“You can be as talented as you want, but if you don’t play together and as a team, you’re not going to win.” -Donyell Marshall 1-21-2019

User avatar
ccsuhoops
CCSU Fans Know it all
CCSU Fans Know it all
Posts: 3547
Joined: Wed Oct 17, 2007 12:10 pm

Re: New scoreboard in Detrick Gym

Post by ccsuhoops » Thu Jul 11, 2019 12:10 pm


User avatar
Skyhawkct
CCSU Fans Know it all
CCSU Fans Know it all
Posts: 1976
Joined: Mon Oct 02, 2006 5:37 pm

Re: New scoreboard in Detrick Gym

Post by Skyhawkct » Thu Jul 11, 2019 12:40 pm

Obviously, the person who wrote the article didn’t major in Geography. Unless I read it wrong or can’t visualize it correctly, the scoreboard is on the SOUTH side of the gym.

I definitely know that the Huang Center is attached on the NORTH side.
Last edited by Skyhawkct on Thu Jul 11, 2019 2:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.

bluedevilfanatic
CCSU Fans Rookie
CCSU Fans Rookie
Posts: 138
Joined: Thu Sep 09, 2010 3:20 pm

Re: New scoreboard in Detrick Gym

Post by bluedevilfanatic » Thu Jul 11, 2019 2:13 pm

I have said it before and agree with others on here that YES the new basketball arena should have been developed on the land where the bubble once stood and then renovate Kaiser to become to "new" rec center...Detrick Gym could be used as the volleyball "arena" and the basketball practice facility and then the new building would be an actual basketball arena that would be used for a game day walk through practice and for games ONLY.

Also, I am not a fan of the current placement of the video board...
Based on the article posted on the athletic site it shows the guys removing the advertisements adjacent to the player stats boards and mentions that there will now be portable hoops rather than the ones that hang from the ceiling.

Since there will now be portable hoops this would allow for better viability of the main scoreboard...I would have installed the video board smack dab in the middle of the wall to replace the main score board and then have a ribbon-like score board above that featuring the score, time, timeouts left, possession and bonus. Then on either side of the video board would be the player statistics featuring #, pts, fouls etc.

Something like Kentucky has in their on campus gym, but OF COURSE, it would be a size that would be suitable for Kaiser....
Image
Attachments
kentucky board.jpg

J.J.
Site Admin
Site Admin
Posts: 3889
Joined: Tue Sep 12, 2006 10:52 am
Location: Washington, DC

Re: New scoreboard in Detrick Gym

Post by J.J. » Thu Jul 11, 2019 2:45 pm

Skyhawkct wrote:
Thu Jul 11, 2019 12:40 pm
Obviously, the person who wrote the article didn’t major in Geography. Unless I read it wrong or can’t visualize it correctly, the scoreboard is on the SOUTH side of the gym.

I definitely know that the Huang Center is attached on the NORTH side.
Not a huge mistake, but you're right. And for the record, I am a Geography major from Central. :)

BTW - Did you see the HUGE typo in UConn's Notice to Withdrawal letter to the AAC that was published online? In the cc: line they addressed it to the President of the "University of Southern Florida." For the record, it is the University of SOUTH Florida, aka USF. :lol:

https://www.tampabay.com/sports/usf-bul ... up-letter/

J.J.
Site Admin
Site Admin
Posts: 3889
Joined: Tue Sep 12, 2006 10:52 am
Location: Washington, DC

Re: New scoreboard in Detrick Gym

Post by J.J. » Thu Jul 11, 2019 2:51 pm

bluedevilfanatic wrote:
Thu Jul 11, 2019 2:13 pm
I have said it before and agree with others on here that YES the new basketball arena should have been developed on the land where the bubble once stood and then renovate Kaiser to become to "new" rec center...Detrick Gym could be used as the volleyball "arena" and the basketball practice facility and then the new building would be an actual basketball arena that would be used for a game day walk through practice and for games ONLY.

Also, I am not a fan of the current placement of the video board...
Based on the article posted on the athletic site it shows the guys removing the advertisements adjacent to the player stats boards and mentions that there will now be portable hoops rather than the ones that hang from the ceiling.

Since there will now be portable hoops this would allow for better viability of the main scoreboard...I would have installed the video board smack dab in the middle of the wall to replace the main score board and then have a ribbon-like score board above that featuring the score, time, timeouts left, possession and bonus. Then on either side of the video board would be the player statistics featuring #, pts, fouls etc.

Something like Kentucky has in their on campus gym, but OF COURSE, it would be a size that would be suitable for Kaiser....
Image
Agree 100% - not sure why the new videoboard is offset to the GA side of the wall. Without the ceiling-hung backboards, the video would look perfect centered on the wall above the doors. I'm sure there is a reason, I just can't figure it out yet.

Listen, I give them some credit for trying. I can't imagine the bureaucracy and bull$hit they probably have to deal with to change a lightbulb. I will take any progress in the right direction. That simple fact that they issued a article and stated they want to improve the gameday experience is something. Is it enough - no, but it is something positive.

User avatar
ccsuhoops
CCSU Fans Know it all
CCSU Fans Know it all
Posts: 3547
Joined: Wed Oct 17, 2007 12:10 pm

Re: New scoreboard in Detrick Gym

Post by ccsuhoops » Thu Jul 11, 2019 4:41 pm

Crap, I was thinking this was replacing the high school score board. Ugh. Still a positive is a positive.

User avatar
Skyhawkct
CCSU Fans Know it all
CCSU Fans Know it all
Posts: 1976
Joined: Mon Oct 02, 2006 5:37 pm

Re: New scoreboard in Detrick Gym

Post by Skyhawkct » Thu Jul 11, 2019 6:51 pm

Ok...I see it now. It’s offset to the left facing the south wall? I also thought it WAS a replacement for the old scoreboard.

And JJ...So am I...Urban Planning. 😜

By the way, that article was hilarious...citing that ridiculous Civi ConnFLct game that never amounted to anything.

Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 3 guests