https://www.coachesdatabase.com/basketb ... usel-2019/

Fairfield (MAAC) - Sydney Johnson fired
Niagara (MAAC) - Chris Casey fired

CCSU4-3
CCSU Fans Know it all
CCSU Fans Know it all

Re: 2019 Coaching Carousel

Post by CCSU4-3 » Thu Mar 14, 2019 8:58 pm

I wonder of Paul Schlickmann (now at Fairfield) gives Jay Young a call (or Pat Sellers?).

J.J.
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by J.J. » Thu Mar 14, 2019 9:45 pm

CCSU4-3 wrote:
Thu Mar 14, 2019 8:58 pm
I wonder of Paul Schlickmann (now at Fairfield) gives Jay Young a call (or Pat Sellers?).
I highly doubt it.

Patrick was a finalist here because of his alumni status (and a very credible coaching resume). Doubt he has the connections to Fairfield administration to be a serious canidate. He has some baggage from UConn experience and isn't a "hot" assistant. I'd still think he'd be a great fit at Central, but not so sure about Fairfield.

Paul knew Young from Stony Brook and certainly being Pikell's assistant carried some weight with the CCSU committee. He was connected to Central through both Paul and Pikell, but his time may have passed. It is more like he gets a call from Paul, but I don't see him a finalist.

My guess is they look someone with some type of Ivy/Patriot experience. They almost certainly try for high major assistants (like QU did with Dunleavy).

Fairfield will pay more than CCSU, so I think their candidates will be a little more "sexy" and well know than Patrick or Jay.

J.J.
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by J.J. » Thu Mar 14, 2019 9:50 pm

I'd also note that Fairfield is using a private search firm. Those groups are notorious for packing the list with clients they already know.

I always think it is irresponsible to hire a search firm, when this is the primary job of an AD. That being said, the last search here was a debacle, so who knows what is right.

J.J.
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by J.J. » Tue Mar 26, 2019 6:45 pm

Not bad, going from the NEC to A-10 head coach in just 2 seasons. Good for him - seems like a great guy and coach.
Jamion Christian has been hired by George Washington as its men's basketball coach after one season at Siena.

Christian's hiring was announced Thursday, less than a week after GW parted ways with Maurice Joseph following three years in the job.

Siena went 17-16 under Christian this season with a game built on pressure defense and 3-point shooting. He took over a team that finished 8-24 in 2017-18 under Jimmy Patsos.

Before that, he took his alma mater, Mount St. Mary's, to a pair of appearances in the NCAA tournament in six years at the school.
https://www.baltimoresun.com/sports/col ... story.html

CCSU4-3
CCSU Fans Know it all
CCSU Fans Know it all

Post by CCSU4-3 » Wed Mar 27, 2019 4:21 pm

Add Buffalo to the list. At one point in time, there was thought that if Oats left, Marshall would be a candidate for the Buffalo opening. It's difficult to see that happening now.

J.J.
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by J.J. » Fri Mar 29, 2019 7:47 am

J.J. wrote:
Thu Mar 14, 2019 9:45 pm
CCSU4-3 wrote:
Thu Mar 14, 2019 8:58 pm
I highly doubt it.

Patrick was a finalist here because of his alumni status (and a very credible coaching resume). Doubt he has the connections to Fairfield administration to be a serious canidate. He has some baggage from UConn experience and isn't a "hot" assistant. I'd still think he'd be a great fit at Central, but not so sure about Fairfield.

Paul knew Young from Stony Brook and certainly being Pikell's assistant carried some weight with the CCSU committee. He was connected to Central through both Paul and Pikell, but his time may have passed. It is more like he gets a call from Paul, but I don't see him a finalist.

My guess is they look someone with some type of Ivy/Patriot experience. They almost certainly try for high major assistants (like QU did with Dunleavy).

Fairfield will pay more than CCSU, so I think their candidates will be a little more "sexy" and well know than Patrick or Jay.
Well looks like I was way off and Paul may get his guy at Fairfield.

Buzz on the Fairfield board is Jay Young is coming from Rutgers to be the Stags new head coach.

Obviously if this does happen it says a ton about how the CCSU selection went down and the impact it had on Paul's relationship with the Administration.

This would add some "juice" to any future CCSU-Fairfield games.

Larryl9797
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Larryl9797 » Fri Mar 29, 2019 8:29 am

Obviously if this does happen it says a ton about how the CCSU selection went down and the impact it had on Paul's relationship with the Administration.
Yeah - it destroyed it.....
“You can be as talented as you want, but if you don’t play together and as a team, you’re not going to win.” -Donyell Marshall 1-21-2019

ccsuhoops
CCSU Fans Know it all
CCSU Fans Know it all

Post by ccsuhoops » Fri Mar 29, 2019 2:28 pm

No doubt it went bad. Never suspected otherwise honestly. DM's hire reeked of political influence.

CCSU4-3
CCSU Fans Know it all
CCSU Fans Know it all

Post by CCSU4-3 » Wed Apr 03, 2019 9:51 am

Jay Young to Fairfield. Schlickman finally gets his man, three years later.

ccsuhoops
CCSU Fans Know it all
CCSU Fans Know it all

Post by ccsuhoops » Wed Apr 03, 2019 10:27 am

CCSU4-3 wrote:
Wed Apr 03, 2019 9:51 am
Not that we wont draw any comparisons or anything. :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:

CCSU4-3
CCSU Fans Know it all
CCSU Fans Know it all

Post by CCSU4-3 » Wed Apr 03, 2019 10:46 am

ccsuhoops wrote:
Wed Apr 03, 2019 10:27 am
CCSU4-3 wrote:
Not that we wont draw any comparisons or anything. :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:
Haha...that's natural, though probably unfair.

If Young has success there, it doesn't mean he would have been successful at Central. Fairfield has significantly better facilities and resources than CCSU, and is a better job.

It probably worked out well for Young in the long run.

J.J.
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by J.J. » Wed Apr 03, 2019 4:52 pm

CCSU4-3 wrote:
Wed Apr 03, 2019 10:46 am
ccsuhoops wrote:
Wed Apr 03, 2019 10:27 am
CCSU4-3 wrote:
Haha...that's natural, though probably unfair.

If Young has success there, it doesn't mean he would have been successful at Central. Fairfield has significantly better facilities and resources than CCSU, and is a better job.

It probably worked out well for Young in the long run.
Unfair or not, comparisons will be made. Sellers was my personal choice for the CCSU opening, but I had total faith in Paul (and the committee) in selecting Young. When Bachoo got involved and anointed DM, it tainted the entire process.

Also, Fairfield may have better financial resources, but lets not kid ourselves - their facilities are garbage. Alumni Hall is worse than Detrick (if you can imagine that), and playing games in front of 10% of capacity in a Downtown Bridgeport arena is not really a better option. Paul moved more games out of Harbor Yards.

While Iona has been a monster of a program and Monmouth has made a huge National splash, the rest of he MAAC is on par with the NEC. Not getting excited about league games vs. Marist, St. Peter's, Rider, Manhattan, Cansisus, etc. Its a small rung above the Northeast, but nothing to care much about.

We will see what happens, I think he can be very successful there and it will be interesting if we see a Blue Devils-Stags game next year ...

ccsuhoops
CCSU Fans Know it all
CCSU Fans Know it all

Post by ccsuhoops » Wed Apr 03, 2019 5:14 pm

Amen on your first sentence J.J.. I'd love to see a Fairfield game, as well as a QU game and wth, throw Yale in the mix too, they are all travel-able and none of them are Pine Manor

Skyhawkct
CCSU Fans Know it all
CCSU Fans Know it all

Post by Skyhawkct » Wed Apr 03, 2019 7:15 pm

Bachoo is getting his due but unfortunately it’s coming about from a very bad situation.

I may have posted this before but he got all PO’d at me because years ago, I wouldn’t approve CCSU’s master plan for the CTDOT. It was crap, and as much as I wanted to, I just couldn’t sign off.

He actually had to come to my office with his boss and each time he saw me at a game, he just turned his head. Apparently, coming to MY office was beneath him but he had no choice.

I don’t know what his status is now but I hope CCSU washes their hands of him ASAP.