Dannie Powell named head coach at Bunnell HS

Lets talk some Hoops!
J.J.
Site Admin
Site Admin

Dannie Powell named head coach at Bunnell HS

Post by J.J. » Tue Aug 07, 2018 8:01 am

Per the Connecticut Post:
Former Stratford High star Dannie Powell is returning to the South-West Conference, across town from where he used to dominate the league on a regular basis.

Powell on Monday was named the new boys basketball coach at Bunnell. He replaces Pat Yerina, who resigned in June after 21 seasons and subsequently took the same job at Joel Barlow.

Powell previously served as an assistant under Yerina at Bunnell for four seasons (2010-14). He also had two stints as an assistant at Fairfield Prep under Leo Redgate. In between, he was the head coach for one season (2015-16) at Capital Prep Harbor School in Bridgeport.
Powell made his name as a star guard at rival Stratford, scoring over 1,000 points and making a pair of all-state teams. He graduated in 2003.

“Bunnell kind of became home to me because everyone I know from (Stratford’s) administration to coaching staff is gone,” Powell said. “I haven’t been back to Stratford for so long.”

After high school, Powell played at Carl Albert State College in Oklahoma before landing at Central Connecticut State for two seasons. He was part of the 2007 team that qualified for the NCAA tournament.
https://www.ctpost.com/sports/article/B ... ium=social