New 2018 Commit /Transfers

Lets talk some Hoops!
J.J.
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: New 2018 Commit /Transfers

Post by J.J. » Tue May 01, 2018 10:28 am

Ugh ... I will reserve final judgement until I see where they both land Do they find

Certainly Bowles was going to struggle to see meaningful minutes this year, so his departure is a little more palatable.

However, I really thought Talek had some high potential here, I'm disappointed to see him leave so soon. He was a very athletic kid that could jump out of the gym.

ccsuhoops
CCSU Fans Know it all
CCSU Fans Know it all

Post by ccsuhoops » Tue May 01, 2018 10:48 am

Totally figured Bowles was out, last Howie man standing and all. Really disappointing to see Talek go. Injury kept him out of the first bit of the season and then when he did get in it looked like he needed some work. Wish he could have gotten that work, super athlete. I guess w/ all of the incoming Freshman, who are apparantley much higher caliber recruits than normal for us are scaring him off?

ccsuhoops
CCSU Fans Know it all
CCSU Fans Know it all

Re: New 2018 commit

Post by ccsuhoops » Tue May 01, 2018 10:51 am

hilltopper wrote:
Thu Apr 26, 2018 6:38 pm
If just one of them left, we'd have room right?
No, two need to go. Three have left...Laney, Jones, and Nehls. And there are five incoming.....1. Krishnan 2. Ellis 3. Underwood 4. Wallace 5. Coleman
That is 15 scholarship players and there are only 13 scholarships available.
Looks like we have a team now. Just need those verbal commits and nli's to be solidified.

hilltopper
CCSU Fans Know it all
CCSU Fans Know it all

Post by hilltopper » Tue May 01, 2018 12:31 pm

Well everyone here knew that this was coming, now we have names.
A little surprised at Bowles leaving, since he is going to be a Senior and looked to be the only experienced PG on the 2018-19 team. I consider Batiste to be a 2. But as has been noted previously, he was the last remaining Howie recruit, so now they are all gone. I guess the staff feels that the incoming class can take care of the PG duties and takeover Bowles' minutes. And they have had enough of an opportunity to evaluate Camacho as he has been practicing with the team for the last year. Of course there is always Kohl who is probably going to get the ball at crunch time no matter who is at the point.

Not at all surprised about Talek. He has no position on this team.
He did not show an ability to hit the three and he is definitely not a PG.
Given that he is a spectacular athlete I would expect that he will have no problem landing on some team, probably one with a lot of three point shooters.
I had thought that only way Talek could earn playing time with this team was if he made himself into a shutdown defender. But again, he did not show much of that for the small sample we have seen. Lets face reality, if Talek was a three point bomber coming out of HS, given his athletic abilities, he would have been a big time recruit.

So I guess we have next years team! Now the staff can get to work and get the newcomers into school at some point this summer.
It is going to be interesting! Losing Jones and Nehls is going to really change the look. Five newcomers, six with Camacho, and I would expect that at least three are going to get significant playing time. And then there is Hicks and C Williams, who hopefully will have matured and developed their game.

The best case scenario is that this team is going to be really deep.

CCSU4-3
CCSU Fans Know it all
CCSU Fans Know it all

Post by CCSU4-3 » Tue May 01, 2018 9:19 pm

hilltopper wrote:
Tue May 01, 2018 12:31 pm
Not at all surprised about Talek. He has no position on this team.
I'm really bummed to see Talek go, but I do agree with this sentiment.

Look around this roster, and every player really fits into three categories:

Combo-guard (ability to both play PG as well as off the ball): Batiste, Camacho, Krishnan, Ellis

Long-Wing (6'5" plus and ability to play in and out): Kohl, Hugley, Chris Williams, Hicks, Coleman, Underwood

Bigs: Bute, Kay, Wallace

Williams is basically an under-sized wing without a jump shot. I certainly think he could have been developed, but I get the sense he was not happy. While the Bowles transfer was likely a mutual agreement, I think Talek leaving is all on him. I highly doubt Marshall would cut bait after just one season (unless there were attitude/off the court problems).

Look at the silver lining though: at least it wasn't one of our big guns (Kohl, Bute, Hugley).

Larryl9797
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Larryl9797 » Wed May 02, 2018 8:11 am

I wish Talek the best! I think if he can work out those durability issues he will def see alot of play time at a DII or III school and can be one of hte better players on the team.
Discipline = Freedom

GB33
CCSU FANS Recruit
CCSU FANS Recruit

Post by GB33 » Wed May 09, 2018 6:07 am

Looks like williams commited to Division 2 Lackawanna College.

hilltopper
CCSU Fans Know it all
CCSU Fans Know it all

Post by hilltopper » Wed May 09, 2018 12:18 pm

He will be making some spectacular dunks against the generally smaller front lines at the D2 level. I wish him the best!

CCSU4-3
CCSU Fans Know it all
CCSU Fans Know it all

Post by CCSU4-3 » Thu May 10, 2018 8:45 pm

Lackawanna College is a NJCAA Division 2 (JUCO) school.

I'd imagine Williams will go there for a year, try to raise his stock, and try to find another D1 school. I'd imagine there will be a market for him if he can improve his jump shot.

http://lackawannafalcons.com/landing/index