DM in Year 2

Lets talk some Hoops!
J.J.
Site Admin
Site Admin

DM in Year 2

Post by J.J. » Mon Mar 12, 2018 9:05 pm

DM's 14 wins this seasons was the most wins since 2010-11.

Howie won more than 14 games 7 times in 20 seasons as head coach.

CCSU has won 14 or more games in 11 seasons at the D-I level (out of 32 seasons).

Mark Adams best season as coach was 13 wins in 1995-96.

Mike Brown never won more than 10 games in a season.

DM's 20 wins in his first 2 seasons is equal to Mike Brown's total wins in his 3 seasons as head coach.

DM's .438 win percentage in 2017-18 ranks 13th best in CCSU's D-I era.

Howie's last season in 2015-16 was the worst winning percentage (.138) in 32 years of D-I basketball at CCSU.

*Note: This analysis only includes games played vs. D-I teams

hilltopper
CCSU Fans Know it all
CCSU Fans Know it all

Re: DM in Year 2

Post by hilltopper » Tue Mar 13, 2018 10:54 am

This season was disappointing because the promise shown in the OC schedule did not continue in the NEC.

Actually it was a very good 2nd year with 14 wins...a nice improvement that all of us would have taken before the season started. As I was driving to one of the home games, I remember thinking how nice it was to think we have a good chance to win this game. It hasn't been that way for too many years.

I think we all feel that it could have been much better.

J.J.
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by J.J. » Tue Mar 13, 2018 11:39 am

I agree - the season had more promise than what was actually fulfilled.

However, in comparison to both recent and historical seasons for CCSU, this was a good year.

My hope is next year is even better and we are back in the conversation for a NCAA bid.

ccsuhoops
CCSU Fans Know it all
CCSU Fans Know it all

Post by ccsuhoops » Tue Mar 13, 2018 2:53 pm

We need to subtract 3 ( or was it 4) wins for DM as he didn't coach the entire season. Not sure how I feel. On one hand its good however questions for next year and especially beyond are looming for me as were not sure of our guard situation, we turn the ball over way too many times to even consider post season play and we lose three STUDS after next season.

wurzshep19
CCSU Fans Know it all
CCSU Fans Know it all

Post by wurzshep19 » Tue Mar 13, 2018 3:47 pm

I think if you had given our final record at the beginning of the season most would have signed up for it.....and it was in-line with expectations. HOWEVER, the way we got there was infuriating....wasted potential, silly shoot yourself in the foot plays, poor coaching...no adjustments....OT losses...blown leads....streaks upon streaks.

Back to Positive Panda for next season....right....?

Deltaguy1
CCSU FANS Recruit
CCSU FANS Recruit

Post by Deltaguy1 » Tue Mar 13, 2018 4:35 pm

In the "Obvious to Everyone" category, the inconsistancy this season comes from several angles:
A head coach with no true head coaching experience;
Trouble with/within the coaching ranks (one coach?);
Injuries;
New and old players only having the preseason to get themselves into a cohesive unit;
Questions re: the future of the program (see the announcement about Blue Devil athletics and the study into it).

Of course, I could be, and have been all wet before.
Yet, where were we several years ago and, two years ago?

J.J.
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by J.J. » Fri Mar 16, 2018 7:25 am

I will also say, DM’a former boss and team - Nate Oats at Buffalo has done an outstanding job. Donyell is still learning on the job (as most of us expected when he was hired), but I am optimistic that he will continue to grow here at Central.

hilltopper
CCSU Fans Know it all
CCSU Fans Know it all

Post by hilltopper » Fri Mar 16, 2018 12:54 pm

JJ wrote:but I am optimistic that he will continue to grow here at Central.
Agreed! I too am psyched for next year. Think about where we have been for the last few years and how that has changed, thanks DM!
It will be interesting to see the new recruits as I honestly feel that this team is just a couple of pieces away from being a legitimate NEC contender. And those pieces are more along the lines of role players which are easier to find. A good PG and a sharp shooter, and that may already be on the roster or incoming recruits.