@ St. Francis (NY) 1.11.18

Lets talk some Hoops!
J.J.
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: @ St. Francis (NY) 1.11.18

Post by J.J. » Thu Jan 11, 2018 9:56 pm

Didn't watch - but nothing from the box score looks positive.

I'm not in full-blown panic mode yet, but losing 4 straight league games, including at St. Francis Brooklyn is a bad sign.

Too many things to worry about - but we have to start on offense. The defense will come and that's not what is costing us wins. We aren't making enough of our limited possessions. We have to eliminate turnovers (to maximize possession) and make more shots. Yeah, that's all I've got - put the ball in the basket!

I will argue with anyone the program is in better shape in DM year 2 than it has been anytime in the last 4 years - HOWEVER this rebuilding is taking a lot longer than I expected in league play. SFNY was awful last year and they just ran us out of their gym. That is a very different situation than losing to RMU and The Mount.

ccsuhoops
CCSU Fans Know it all
CCSU Fans Know it all

Post by ccsuhoops » Thu Jan 11, 2018 10:27 pm

May be in better shape but I still feel exactly like I’ve felt the last four years. What the hell is DM doing? He doesn’t even get off the bench?! Silent during time outs? What gives?! Was his plan tonight to let Kohl do everything? Has that been his game plan all year? Where the hell is the defense on threes? 16 threes?! WTF IS THAT?! Where the hell has Nehls gone?! That’s where we lost this one. Lack of defensive effort. What is dm going to do? I’ll say again, has he lost this team?

ccsuhoops
CCSU Fans Know it all
CCSU Fans Know it all

Post by ccsuhoops » Thu Jan 11, 2018 10:27 pm

Oh and what was the fight at the end of the game the announcers mentioned?

ccsuhoops
CCSU Fans Know it all
CCSU Fans Know it all

Post by ccsuhoops » Thu Jan 11, 2018 11:30 pm

Nehls gets 17 minutes?!?!?!?!

Toprowscreamer
CCSU Fans Regular
CCSU Fans Regular

Post by Toprowscreamer » Fri Jan 12, 2018 10:02 am

This team is a hot mess right now. Again, it's not just the losing; it's the fact that we're getting BLOWN OUT -- by NEC teams. This team suddenly has no chemistry. Something must of happened within that locker room.

CCSU4-3
CCSU Fans Know it all
CCSU Fans Know it all

Post by CCSU4-3 » Fri Jan 12, 2018 10:34 am

So, at least Tyler Kohl returned to form, eh? 28 points on 11-18 shooting, 8 rebounds and only 2 turnovers. So uh...yay for that!

And I want to give a shout out to Shak Laney. He was AWESOME defensively last night; he really shut down Dunn once he came into the game.

That's kind of all I want to say about that game. We've got problems. Not jumping ship yet...but like a number of you, I've got a lot of concerns.

Let's start with defense:

-Our last two opponents are 32 for 68 from three (47%). That's 48 points per game just from three pointers! That's mind boggling. It's no wonder we were blown out in both games. The numbers guy in me says that it's a complete fluke and that regression to the mean is coming. But I watched the games. And there are two problems with believing it's a fluke:

1) Our perimeter defenders can't keep guys in front of them. Hoops...you asked why Nehls only got 17 minutes...he can't contain dribble penetration. Nor can Kohl. So what happens when you allow a guy to beat you off the bounce? Someone else has to come help. Which means that defender's guy is now open. So we are giving up wide open 3's.

2) Laziness. I watched multiple defenders last night not put hands up on shooters. Right at the beginning of the game, we got a stop, SFNY got an offensive rebound, and Jalen Jordan had the ball about 5 feet behind the 3 pt line. He up-faked, the defender (I think Nehls) didn't move. So he just shot it. And bang, the rout was on. That happened multiple times; Lasic did the same thing to Hugley. If you aren't going to put a hand up, I'm shooting it man.

So is it a fluke or bad defense? I think it's a combination of the two. I'd be shocked if another team hit 16 three-pointers in a game against us. That's just really hard to do. But this defense will continue to allow above average 3P shooting unless something changes.

-Last night, we allowed the Terriers to rebound 42.4% of their misses, a season high against a mid-major (DePaul grabbed 52.6%, but that's a Big East team and they are expected to do that). That's pure laziness. Not boxing out. Not going after the ball. Our team was just plain getting outworked underneath. This wasn't a problem in the other three NEC losses (we held our opponents to under 30% in those games, which is good), so I'm not sure what to make of it.

-We don't force turnovers. On the season, we have a 15.9% defensive turnover rate, good for 320th in the country. In conference play, that number is 15%, which is 9th in the NEC. So basically, we need to hope the other team misses their shots, and that we get the rebound. Because we aren't getting the ball back any other way, except for when it goes through the hoop.

Offense
-Last night's offense wasn't TERRIBLE (0.97 ppp), but it wasn't good. Obviously a lot of that is the turnovers. Larry my 17.5 O/U was pretty close...ended up with 17, but in an uber-slow 62 possession game, that's good for 27.4%, which is terrible.

-A lot of the turnovers are just so dumb. Guys not able to catch the ball. There was one time where Kohl got an offensive rebound, Moose made a nice cut, Tyler hit him with a gorgeous pass for a wide open layup...but Jones just dropped the ball and it went out of bounds. That happens time and time again.

-Players are being put in bad spots. Bute had 6 turnovers last night, but I don't blame him! Why is he catching the ball at the high post in the first place? We heard in the pre-season that he's a really good passer for a big man, and 18 games in, I don't see it. He's trying to make post-entry passes to Kohl with terrible angles. He tried to hit Kohl on a back door cut that wasn't there. That's just not his game...I don't understand why the coaching staff is putting him in that position.

-The lack of three point shooting is such a problem, and not one that is new. But defenses know this now. So they pack their defense into the paint, where Bute, Jones and Kohl like to do the majority of their work. It's a pretty easy game plan, actually.

-And the lack of 3P shooting ability is exacerbated by the inability to penetrate. I know everyone is in love with size, but having length on the wings is pointless if you can't get the ball into the guts of the defense. Austin Nehls didn't lose his ability to shoot, but his defender is never forced to come off of him. We never force the opposing defense to help out on a dribble drive.

Coaching
-It's very important to remember that it's impossible, from the outside, to distinguish bad coaching from good coaching in a small sample. I mean, Donyell Marshall could call the perfect play, but a missed screen or a dropped pass or a missed layup and no one would ever know.

-With that said, the lack of effort is concerning. I always thought that DM would likely be a below average in-game coach, at least until he gets more experience, but would be able to get guys' attention and control the locker room. And maybe he IS, none of us on here should even pretend to know. But if we are 18 games in and players aren't hustling, I'm concerned. Is the loss of Anthony Anderson a problem? I said it on this board back when it happened but it bears repeating; some of these kids were recruiting by Anderson and came to CCSU BECAUSE of Anderson. Is this team split between Anderson guys and Marshall guys? Does Anderson have the ear of some of these kids? I'm not saying this IS the case, but it's a reasonable question.

-I am concerned about the lack of adjustments. I'm not looking for an overreaction here; but let me ask this question: What does Eric Bowles provide on the floor? He doesn't facilitate the offense, that's Kohl's job. And he can't shoot. He just kind of stands there on offense. Why not just go with Kohl at PG, and get another 3P shooter (Hicks?) or another defender (Laney or Talek Williams) onto the floor? I'm not saying banish Bowles to the end of the bench, but it's worth a shot.

-When are we going to try a "small" lineup? The NEC is not for big teams; the two biggest teams are CCSU and SHU and they have a combined 2-8 record. Bute is getting caught on the perimeter, while Jones/Hugley and Kohl are getting stuck having to defend smaller/quicker players. Again, I'm not saying you don't start two bigs, but if Kohl could guard the smaller/quicker 4's, I think our defense would be a lot stronger.

I'm the first to acknowledge that Donyell Marshall, Mike Witcoskie and Anthony Ross have more basketball knowledge in their big toes than I do in my entire brain. And maybe they've tried these different lineup combinations in practice and they just don't work.

I'm going to continue to trust that DM has a plan, and that his not talking during timeouts, questioning the effort of the team, and APPARENT lack of adjustments is part of a larger plan. I believe he knows what he's doing.

CCSU is favored in all of the next four games. If we are anything less than 4-5 on January 26, I'll start the "we may miss the NEC tourney again" freak out.

ccsuhoops
CCSU Fans Know it all
CCSU Fans Know it all

Post by ccsuhoops » Fri Jan 12, 2018 1:03 pm

Toprowscreamer wrote:
Fri Jan 12, 2018 10:02 am
. Something must of happened within that locker room.
Exactly my point. DM doesn't even speak to them any more. Can't wait to actually see this in person tomorrow. I'm basing this soely off of tv broadcasts I've watched however you nail the point home by saying they "suddenly" have no chemistry. Last night was like watching a pick up game, everyone trying to get theirs. Of course Kohl took the most but it was almost as if when he didn't have the ball, they were chucking up shots. Hicks almost mist the entire backboard #-o and wth did he do to Nehls , had a WIDE open three yet decides to drive to a contested basket? Zero points, 17 minutes? I'm sorry but what is DM doing?!

hilltopper
CCSU Fans Know it all
CCSU Fans Know it all

Post by hilltopper » Fri Jan 12, 2018 1:59 pm

toprowscreamer wrote: Something must of happened within that locker room.
"Somethings happening here and what it is ain't exactly clear" - Buffalo Springfield

The way I see it there is one of two general possibilities...
1. Something has changed with this team since they had an excellent non conference record
or
2. The NEC is a lot better level of competition then we have been giving credit for.

....or it is a combination of the two.

Larryl9797
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Larryl9797 » Fri Jan 12, 2018 2:15 pm

A few wins will ease everyones angst. I consider this team the player maturity age of "freshmen". There will be alot of up and downs this season.
Discipline = Freedom