12.9.17 vs. DePaul Univ.

Lets talk some Hoops!
ccsuhoops
CCSU Fans Know it all
CCSU Fans Know it all

Re: 12.9.17 vs. DePaul Univ.

Post by ccsuhoops » Wed Dec 06, 2017 11:37 pm

They're too big and they don't miss the big three. Hope to keep it under twenty. Hope next year we can compete on games like this...

wurzshep19
CCSU Fans Know it all
CCSU Fans Know it all

Post by wurzshep19 » Wed Dec 06, 2017 11:41 pm

I don’t care what the depth situation is, Laney can’t play....he’s not a D-I player and it shows especially again these guys. Just too big and fast.

J.J.
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by J.J. » Wed Dec 06, 2017 11:42 pm

I don't think Kohl is trying to do too much. He's our best player and he needs to push it to the limit. I don't think we are playing great, but honestly I think we are pushing it as hard as we can. This is a game that will make us better.

Let's be honest here this is DePaul, not Hartford. This isn't a game we are supposed to win. As the pregame analysis from 4-3 indicated, this is a tough matchup and we are a 14-point underdog.

Sure, can we could have won, if a lot of things went right - like if Nehls hit his first 6 threes.

ccsuhoops
CCSU Fans Know it all
CCSU Fans Know it all

Post by ccsuhoops » Wed Dec 06, 2017 11:48 pm

I just see kohl forcing shots that aren't his. Have to keep feeding Nehls and Hugly even when they are off, just takes a couple to get the stroke back and those boys can shoot. Bute going to do very well in the NEC. Laney and Kay imho should find a seat at the end of the bench. Rather see any of the other guys who don't get pt. Can't wait for Batiste and Takek, hopefully Saturday.

J.J.
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by J.J. » Wed Dec 06, 2017 11:52 pm

Kay is out of his league against a Big East team, but he will give us some productive minutes in NEC play. He's a project for DM, no doubt, but I think he'll look a lot better on the floor vs. Bryant than DePaul.

Laney has contributed a few key minutes during our streak, but he too is out of his skill set vs. a team like this.

J.J.
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by J.J. » Wed Dec 06, 2017 11:57 pm

GB33 wrote:
Wed Dec 06, 2017 10:59 pm
Don’t want to be that guy but this is terrible and maybe I know more abt hicks than most but we are struggling to score and for him to still be sitting is ridiculous
Hicks looks good. I agree, he needs to see some more time next game.

GB33
CCSU FANS Recruit
CCSU FANS Recruit

Post by GB33 » Wed Dec 06, 2017 11:59 pm

3-5 in what 2min....kid is a bucket smh

wurzshep19
CCSU Fans Know it all
CCSU Fans Know it all

Post by wurzshep19 » Thu Dec 07, 2017 12:03 am

I don’t understand how Laney has any minutes with anyone left on the bench. Especially Hicks....what gives? kid looked decent in the couple of minutes he got.

J.J.
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by J.J. » Thu Dec 07, 2017 12:06 am

CCSU4-3 wrote:
Tue Dec 05, 2017 10:42 pm
Things to watch:
Defensive rebounding- CCSU hasn't allowed a team to grab more than 30% of its offensive rebound chances since the loss at St. John's, checking in at 24.5% overall (51st in the nation). On the flip side, DePaul is grabbing 33% of its misses (83rd in the nation), and just destroyed mid-majors Delaware St. and Portland, as well as Illinois on the offensive glass. The Blue Devils will really need to limit DePaul's second chances, and I think they can do that. However, it'll need to be a group effort.

How does CCSU handle DePaul's size?- The Blue Devils have good size for an NEC team- Bute is 6'9" 220 lbs. with a long wingspan, Hugley is 6'7" 215, and Jones is 6'7" 180. Even Kohl, at 6'5" 220 lbs., is a good sized wing. But as mentioned before, DePaul is really big up front. I think that CCSU bigs will struggle to defend the interior one-on-one, as McCallum and Maric could have their way with Bute/Jones early. We could see Donyell Marshall go to extended minutes in a zone, which he's not afraid to do. However, it's difficult to rebound out of a zone, and DePaul has been really solid on the offensive boards so far this season. This could be one of those "damned if you do, damned if you don't" scenarios. I wouldn't be surprised to see Kay get some minutes, especially if/when a Blue Devil or two gets into foul trouble.

Outside shooting- The Blue Demons have done a good job defending the interior so far this season, limiting opponents to just 47% on two-pointers (top 100 in the nation). In order to put up solid offensive numbers on Wednesday, it'll be important for CCSU to come out and knock down a few treys early in the game. Defenses have really been packing it inside the paint against CCSU, with the knowledge that both Bowles and Kohl like to get in the lane and look for an open cutter. The Blue Devils really need to stretch out the DePaul defense in order to find some lanes to get to the rim.

Protecting the rock- DePaul has shown a penchant for forcing turnovers early this season. They forced 20 Youngstown St. turnovers, Illinois coughed it up 17 times, and Delaware St. had 16. Meanwhile, CCSU has really struggled with taking care of the ball, especially early in games. They had 17 turnovers in their win against Brown, and in early losses against St. John's and Rutgers they turned it over 21 and 20 times, respectively. I worry that this could be another game where Kohl struggles to find openings, which leads to some bad passes and run outs. This is a game that not having a second primary ball handler may hurt.

Outlook:
This is a nice trip for Donyell Marshall’s crew, heading out to the Chicago area for two games. Marshall and Leitao go way back; Leitao was on the UConn coaching staff when Marshall was a player, and actually hired him a few years ago when Leitao was the Head Coach for the Maine Red Claws of the D-League.

This is a really tough matchup for CCSU. The size discrepancy is obvious, and DePaul figures to take away some strengths of the Blue Devils, namely offensive rebounding and two-point shooting. I also think turnovers could be a major problem. Bowles has been solid, but I haven’t liked the look of the offense when he has to go to the bench, and there’s a good chance the Blue Devils have to rely on someone other than the normal seven man rotation (i.e. Kay or Hicks).
I think you nailed it. Obviously, we are all very excited about our recent winning streak, but we stepped up in weight class tonight. Can't underestimate the challenges we were facing heading into the game and Nehls and Kohl opened up ice cold shooting from behind the arc. Maybe if they hit those shots, it would have changed the momentum of the game.

I'm not too down, and I think we saw Hicks and Williams on the floor for the first time. I do hope to see a better game vs. NIU, but this is a learning experience for the team. I think it is fair to say St. John's and DePaul have bigger, faster, and more talented players and deeper bench - not much more you can expect from CCSU at this stage.

J.J.
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by J.J. » Thu Dec 07, 2017 12:08 am

I agree on Hicks. In his limited minutes, he played like a shooter. Nice form and he looked to be quick. Hopefully we see some more of him vs. NIU.

GB33
CCSU FANS Recruit
CCSU FANS Recruit

Post by GB33 » Thu Dec 07, 2017 12:13 am

It’s a joke that hicks isn’t in rotation

Bballfan11
CCSU FANS Recruit
CCSU FANS Recruit

Post by Bballfan11 » Thu Dec 07, 2017 12:45 am

WOW!!!

This is exactly what I was talking about in the Brown game post. Kohl tries to do too much, forcing shots, missed shots, turnovers, etc...

And what did I say about hicks. Ya’ll wanted to get on me for saying he was a scorer and needs to be in the rotation. Hicks had 7pts in first 3 touches! 3-5 in 2mins... shot looked smooth and got to the rim. I’ll say it again, clearly someone that needs to be on the floor.

hilltopper
CCSU Fans Know it all
CCSU Fans Know it all

Post by hilltopper » Thu Dec 07, 2017 12:57 am

Kohl was not the problem.
It was a no contest in the paint. DePaul's bigs just overwhelmed Central. It seemed like Bute got two fouls a couple of minutes after the national anthem.

ccsutaf
CCSU Fans Regular
CCSU Fans Regular

Post by ccsutaf » Thu Dec 07, 2017 6:42 am

Tough game. DePaul was bigger and overall more athletic than CCSU last night especially inside. Nehls and Kohl were cold from the outside especially in the first half which put CCSU in a hole that they couldn't dig their way out of. Hicks did come off the bench late and score 7. That performance may get him some more playing time. This game shows CCSU still has a ways to go to play at the Big East level.

Larryl9797
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Larryl9797 » Thu Dec 07, 2017 8:26 am

CCU had no inside presence and relied on the 3 ball which didnt show up consistently. Nehls was 2-8 with a couple of turn overs. DePaul was just better, they didnt turn the ball over (6) and was dominant in the paint 48 rebounds to CCSU 27rebounds.
Discipline = Freedom